"Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC): Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in the DRC today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile markets, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Total telecom service revenue in the DRC reached $1.1bn in 2017, a decline of 14.2% from 2016, which is mainly due to restricted consumer spending amid a lethargic economic scenario, high inflation and political instability. Total revenue will decline further until 2020 before recovering in 2021 and growing to $1bn by 2022, led by the mobile data segment. Mobile voice revenue represented 68.3% of total revenue in 2017 but will decline over 2017-2022 to reach $605.6bn by 2022, due to falling mobile voice ARPU as a result of competition-induced voice tariff cuts, discounts and bonus call minutes extended by operators.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in the DRC.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- Overall telecom service revenue in the DRC will decline at a CAGR of 1.8% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile services revenue will reach $605.6m by 2022, and mobile data revenue will grow to $372.6m by 2022 led by growing Internet-based subscriptions and an increase in mobile data ARPU.
- 3G will remain the most adopted mobile technology across the 2017-2022 forecast period, and 3G and 4G subscriptions will grow at a faster rate.
- The top mobile operators, Vodacom DRC, Airtel DRC, Orange DRC and Africell DRC, will continue to focus on network investments and coverage expansion, fiber deployment and value-added services offering to acquire customers and drive telecom market.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the DRC’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the DRC’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in the DRC’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in the DRC.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Vodacom DRC
- Airtel DRC
- Orange DRC
- Africell DRC
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage