Machine learning is an artificial intelligence (AI) technology which allows machines to learn by using algorithms to interpret data from connected ‘things’ to predict outcomes and learn from successes and failures.
There are many other AI technologies - from image recognition to natural language processing, gesture control, context awareness and predictive APIs - but machine learning is where most of the investment community’s funding has flowed in recent years. It is also the technology most likely to allow machines to ultimately surpass the intelligence levels of humans.
Many companies, like Alphabet, have already become ‘AI-first’ companies, with machine learning at their core. At the same time, many ML techniques are getting commoditized by being open sourced and pre-packaged into developer toolkits that anyone can use.
This report focuses on Artificial Intelligence in Oil & Gas.
This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”. About our Thematic Research Ecosystem:
- The author has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, the author’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, the author tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in the author’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
- Technology trends
- Macro-economic trends
- Applications of AI in oil & gas
- Ten categories of AI software
- The Tech sector’s angle
- The Web-Scale companies
- Enterprise software players
- Proprietary datasets are also important
- AI and ML are transforming the chipset market
- The two critical components of any successful AI engine
- Oil & gas case studies in AI
- How AI vendors can sell into the oil & gas sector
- Recommendations for IT vendors
- Listed tech companies
- Privately held tech companies
- Oil & gas companies
- History of machine learning
- How does deep learning work?
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
- Apache Corporation
- Baker Hughes
- Blue Yonder
- Descartes Labs
- Exxon Mobil
- Preferred Networks
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Sentient Technologies
- Saudi Aramco
- Statoil ASA
- Total SA
- Zephyr Health