China recorded RMB41.71 billion in total output value and 208kt in output of cathode materials in 2017, a year-on-year increase of 95.1% and 29.53%, respectively. Specifically, the country produced 86kt of NCM, 45kt of LCO and 22kt of LMO, up 58.6%, 26.8% and 43.9% over the same period of the previous year separately. LFP output fell slightly to 55kt in the year.
The country’s shipments of ternary cathode materials amounted to 86.1kt on a market scale of RMB17.235 billion in 2017, representing a year-on-year surge of 58.6% and 111.83%, respectively.
Growth in shipments and market size was largely driven by the factors as follows:
1. More than 60% of new energy vehicles (811,000 units) produced in 2017 were new energy passenger cars on which ternary batteries found an increasingly higher proportion, contributing to growth in the demand for ternary cathode materials.
2. New subsidy policies put forward higher requirements on energy density of NEV power batteries, promoting major domestic power battery makers to intensify their efforts for ternary power batteries;
3. As year-end LCO price soared by more than 60% since the start of 2017, some digital battery makers strengthened substitution of ternary materials for LCO in mid and low-end fields so as to reduce costs;
4. Lithium carbonate prices continued to rise in the second half of 2017, driving up the prices of ternary materials.
A growth in shipments of ternary cathode materials is primarily due to an expansion in new energy passenger car, lithium battery-powered bicycle and mid and low-end digital battery markets. Calculated as 1.3kg ternary cathode materials for 1kwh, it is expected China will need 230kt of NCM and 34kt of NCA by 2023, leaving a huge gap in rigid demand for ternary cathode materials.
523 prevails among ternary materials and is mostly used in digital and power batteries in China. By the shape of battery, cylindrical ternary battery generally uses NCM523, while lamination-process ternary power battery adopts NCM111. The output of cylindrical ternary battery is higher than that of prismatic laminated battery.
Domestic demand for power ternary materials: 111 system grows slightly but is still dominant in prismatic battery system; 523 system grows significantly, but some LFP system and 111 system are replaced because of cost and volume specific capacity; 622 system grows moderately but still occupies a fraction; 811/NCA is tried out by some manufacturers on small batches.
NCA will technologically develop towards high nickel. The NCM for power battery uses mainly NCM111, NCM532 and NCM523, and technically moves towards NCM622, NCM811 and NCA. The battery cell provided by Samsung SDI for carmakers like BMW adopts NCM622. High nickel and low cobalt of ternary cathode materials can greatly boost battery energy density and cut material costs, but face prominent problems in safety and stability. As high technical barriers of high-nickel ternary cathode materials place higher requirements on preparation technology/equipment and production environment well above that of common ternary materials, there are lots of technical difficulties to be solved before domestic high-nickel ternary materials go mature.
Global and China Ternary Materials (NCA/NCM) and Battery Industry Report, 2018-2023 Focuses on the Following:
- Supply and demand of ternary materials in China and the world, particularly the shares of applications in such fields as new energy vehicle and consumer electronics
- Competitive landscape in China and beyond, covering domestic and overseas companies’ market share, capacity planning, market pattern, etc.;
- Technology routes and development trends of ternary materials in China and the world;
- Upstream and downstream market segments of ternary materials, consisting of cobalt metal, lithium carbonate, ternary precursor, ternary lithium battery, etc.;
- Key application growth points of ternary cathode materials, and analysis on electric vehicle industry in China and the world;
- Operation, technologies, development plans and production & sales developments of six manufacturers of ternary cathode materials from countries like Japan, S. Korea, Belgium and Germany;
- Operation, technologies, development plans and production & sales developments of sixteen Chinese ternary cathode material manufacturers;
- Operation, technologies, development plans and production & sales developments of seven ternary lithium battery producers in nations such as Japan, S. Korea and Europe;
- Operation, technologies, development plans and production & sales developments of nine Chinese ternary lithium battery makers.
1 Overview of Ternary Cathode Materials
1.2.1 Nickel-cobalt-manganese Ternary Cathode Material (NCM)
1.2.2 Nickel-cobalt-aluminum Ternary Cathode Material (NCA)
1.3 Production Methods
2 Global Ternary Cathode Material Industry
2.1 Overview of Global Cathode Material Market
2.2 Global Ternary Cathode Material Market
2.2.3 Market Share
2.2.4 Competition among Enterprises
2.2.5 Technology Trend
2.3 Ternary Cathode Material Market in Major Countries or Regions
2.3.2 South Korea
3 China Ternary Cathode Material Industry
3.1 Overview of Chinese Cathode Material Market
3.2 Chinese Ternary Cathode Material Market
3.2.3 Market Size
3.2.4 Competition among Enterprises
3.4 Development Trend
4 Ternary Cathode Material Industry Chain
4.1.2 Lithium Carbonate
4.1.3 Ternary Precursor
4.2.1 Lithium Battery of Consumer Electronics (3C)
4.2.2 Power Lithium-ion Battery
4.2.3 Ternary Cathode Material Lithium Battery
5 Global and Chinese Electric Vehicle Market
5.1 Global Electric Vehicle Market
5.1.1 Overall Market
5.1.2 The United States
5.2 Chinese Electric Vehicle Market
5.2.1 New Energy Vehicle Output
5.2.2 New Energy Vehicle Sales Volume
6 Foreign Ternary Cathode Materials Companies
6.1.2 Financial Operation
6.1.3 Production Base
6.1.4 Layout in China
6.1.5 Ternary Cathode Material Business
6.2.2 Development Course
6.2.3 Financial Operation
6.3.2 Financial Operation
6.4 Toda Kogyo
6.4.2 Financial Operation
6.4.3 Ternary Cathode Material Business
6.5.2 Layout in China and Worldwide
6.5.3 Financial Operation
6.5.4 Ternary Cathode Material Business
6.5.5 Technology Roadmap
6.6 Sumitomo Metal Mine
6.6.2 Financial Operation
6.6.3 Global Layout
7 Chinese Ternary Cathode Materials Enterprises
7.1 Hunan Shanshan Advanced Material Co., Ltd.
7.1.2 Financial Operation
7.1.3 Output and Sales Volume
7.1.5 Core Competence
7.2 Beijing Easpring Material Technology Co., Ltd.
7.2.2 Development Course
7.2.3 Financial Operation
7.2.6 Ternary Cathode Material Business
7.2.7 Performance Prediction
7.3 Xiamen Tungsten Co., Ltd.
7.3.2 Financial Operation
7.3.4 Core Competence
7.3.5 Performance Prediction
7.4.2 Development Course
7.4.3 Financial Operation
7.4.5 Ternary Cathode Material Business
7.4.6 Core Competence
7.5 Fujian Zhonghe Co., Ltd.
7.5.2 Development Course
7.5.3 Financial Operation
7.5.5 Core Competence
7.5.6 Performance Prediction
7.6 Kingray New Materials Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
7.6.2 Financial Operation
7.6.4 Performance Prediction
7.7 Ningbo Jinhe New Materials Co., Ltd.
7.7.2 Financial Operation
7.7.4 Core Competence
7.8 Shenzhen Tianjiao Technology Development Co., Ltd.
7.8.2 Financial Operation
7.9 Xinxiang Tianli Energy Co., Ltd.
7.9.2 Financial Operation
7.9.4 Performance Prediction
7.10 Henan Kelong New Energy Co., Ltd.
7.10.2 Financial Operation
7.10.4 Performance Prediction
7.11 Hunan ChangyuanLico Co., Ltd.
7.11.2 Financial Operation
7.12 Pulead Technology Industry Co., Ltd.
7.12.2 Financial Operation
7.12.3 Ternary Cathode Materials
7.13 Hunan Reshine New Material Co., Ltd.
7.13.2 Financial Operation
7.13.3 Ternary Cathode Material Business
7.14 Yantai Zhuoneng Battery Materials Co., Ltd.
7.14.2 Financial Operation
7.15 Tianjin B&M Science and Technology Joint-stock Co., Ltd
7.16 Guizhou Anda Energy Technology Corp.
7.16.2 Financial Operation
8 Major Global Ternary Lithium Battery Manufacturers
8.1.2 Battery Technology
8.1.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.1.4 Layout in China
8.1.6 Output and Capacity
8.2.2 Battery Technology
8.2.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.2.4 Layout in China
8.2.5 Capacity and Output
8.3.2 Battery Technology
8.3.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.3.5 Layout in China
8.3.6 Capacity and Output
8.4.2 Battery Technology
8.4.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.4.5 Layout in China
8.4.6 Capacity and Output
8.5 Samsung SDI
8.5.2 Battery Technology
8.5.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.5.5 Layout in China
8.5.6 Capacity and Output
8.6.2 Battery Technology
8.6.3 Business Development and Prospects
8.6.4 Layout in China
8.6.5 Capacity and Output
8.7.2 Battery Technology
8.7.3 Business Development and Prospects
9 Major Chinese Ternary Lithium Battery Manufacturers
9.1 Tianjin LishenBattery
9.1.2 Battery Technology
9.1.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.1.5 Capacity and Output
9.2.2 Battery Technology
9.2.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.2.4 Output, Sales Volume and Capacity
9.3 China BAK Battery
9.3.2 Battery Technology
9.3.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.3.5 Capacity and Output
9.4 Wanxiang EV
9.4.2 Battery Technology
9.4.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.5 Sinopoly Battery
9.5.2 Battery Technology
9.5.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.5.5 Output and Capacity
9.6 CITIC GUOAN Mengguli
9.6.2 Battery Technology
9.6.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.7 China Aviation Lithium Battery
9.7.2 Battery Technology
9.7.4 Business Development and Prospects
9.7.6 Output and Capacity
9.8 Hefei Guoxuan High-tech Power Energy
9.8.2 Battery Technology
9.8.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.8.5 Output, Sales Volume and Capacity
9.9.2 Battery Technology
9.9.3 Business Development and Prospects
9.9.5 Output, Sales Volume and Capacity
- Toda Kogyo
- Sumitomo Metal Mine
- Hunan Shanshan Advanced Material Co., Ltd.
- Beijing Easpring Material Technology Co., Ltd.
- Xiamen Tungsten Co., Ltd.
- Fujian Zhonghe Co., Ltd.
- Kingray New Materials Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
- Ningbo Jinhe New Materials Co., Ltd.
- Shenzhen Tianjiao Technology Development Co., Ltd.
- Xinxiang Tianli Energy Co., Ltd.
- Henan Kelong New Energy Co., Ltd.
- Hunan ChangyuanLico Co., Ltd.
- Pulead Technology Industry Co., Ltd.
- Hunan Reshine New Material Co., Ltd.
- Yantai Zhuoneng Battery Materials Co., Ltd.
- Tianjin B&M Science and Technology Joint-stock Co., Ltd
- Guizhou Anda Energy Technology Corp.
- Samsung SDI
- Tianjin LishenBattery
- China BAK Battery
- Wanxiang EV
- Sinopoly Battery
- CITIC GUOAN Mengguli
- China Aviation Lithium Battery
- Hefei Guoxuan High-tech Power Energy