As the global landscape of consumer demand continues to evolve, the Cosmetic Packaging Machinery Market represents an invaluable tool to stay at the forefront of industry trends. Emphasizing sustainability and efficiency, manufacturers are replacing traditional score-cut machinery with next-generation automated packaging machines, establishing new industry standards.
These innovative machines, designed without control cabinets and featuring vertical and horizontal connectivity, are meeting the exploding demand for customized beauty products. Factors such as a growing millennial population, increasing urbanization, and rising consumer incomes propel the growth of cosmetics. To cater to this amplified consumer base, efficiency in packaging has become paramount. Further, the evolution of the beauty and cosmetics industry has seen widespread usage of materials like Polyethylene and PET, that satisfy 'green' customers due to their recyclability, thereby marking a noticeable shift towards environmentally friendly packaging.
- With the rise of various customized beauty products, there has been an increase in the demand for efficient packaging. This would be attributed to the increasing awareness of personal grooming, which has expanded the consumer base of cosmetic products. Factors such as the growing millennial population, increasing urbanization, and rising incomes of consumers are the major contributors to the growth of the cosmetic industry. Urbanization has created several opportunities for the players in the market by raising disposable income and creating awareness about the availability of various cosmetics, thereby significantly spurring the demand for cosmetic products and packaging.
- According to a study by MJS Packaging in August 2022, packaging in the beauty and cosmetics industry has evolved rapidly. Polyethylene and PET are common materials used for cosmetic packaging. These materials also cope well with the influx of green customers. PETG, polyethylene, and PET are easily recyclable plastics accepted by all street recycling programs. This makes these materials an ideal option for environmentally friendly packaging. On the other hand, the requirement of high initial capital is restricting the companies from replacing their existing packaging line. The stringent government regulations for cosmetics and equipment also limit the market growth for cosmetic packaging machines.
- The COVID-19 pandemic impacted the operations of the packaging industry market players and cosmetics providers. However, owing to the demand for hygienic products by end users, packaging for cosmetics also witnessed growth despite supply chain disruptions. Consumers' views changed in the near term for more hygiene-driven features, which sidelined their sustainable packaging preference during the COVID-19 pandemic. Moreover, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Cosmetic Packaging Machinery Market Trends
Plastic Material to Witness Significant Growth
- With technological advancements and digital transformation, the importance of labeling has increased tremendously over the years. Cosmetic products are available in different forms of packaging and material. Hence, there is a demand for plastics to suit various packaging needs.
- Plastic packaging is used in multiple personal care products, such as cosmetics, toiletry, and more. Plastic packaging includes sophisticated cosmetics, such as special oils, vitamins, and herbal compounds, which need protection from light and contamination. These products also require to have an extended shelf life. Thus, flexible and multi-layer barrier plastic packaging films are used.
- Moreover, various companies across the Asia Pacific and other regions focus on expanding their business by promoting and participating in expos to showcase their packaging machinery. For instance, in December 2022, Nichrome's pharmaceutical and cosmetic packaging machinery company at PMEC India 2022 expo will network and meet the movers and shakers from India's machinery, technology, and ingredients industries and acquire a competitive edge. PMEC India 2022 will decidedly power Nichrome's core competencies for integrated packaging systems.
- Packaging organizations are focused on improving their business with collaborations and acquisitions. For instance, in January 2022, Berlin Packaging, one of the largest hybrid packaging suppliers, announced the acquisition of Premi S.p.A. This global packaging supplier specializes in dynamic and innovative solutions for the beauty and cosmetic industries. Such acquisitions will further increase the market for plastic materials across the globe.
- With the increasing population, innovation, marketing campaigns, raw material shipments across different countries, and higher penetration of more minor category cosmetics, the market for packaging in cosmetics is expected to grow during the forecast period. Furthermore, there is an increasing demand for cosmetics due to the shifting grooming trends among different genders. The manufacturers of cosmetic products rely on extensive advertisements through other media to sell various cosmetic items.
North America is the Key Market for Cosmetic Packaging Machinery
- The United States is a hub for cosmetic products and is known for its innovative and quality products. Consumers in the United States seek products geared toward their specific needs and preferences. The country has the footprint of many multinational companies, such as Revlon, MAC Cosmetics, Avon, and L'Oreal. The United States is one of the big markets for skin care products, including anti-aging and anti-wrinkle effects.
- More packaging machinery businesses are embracing automation in their packaging lines and employing smart manufacturing to achieve improved efficiency and production. Machine vision is a fast-evolving technology in the packing machinery market, with different applications for small and large businesses.
- Cosmetic companies also focus on eco-friendly packaging innovations to protect the environment through collaborations. For instance, in July 2022, Origin Materials, Inc. and Revlon, Inc. introduced a joint initiative to expand superior carbon-negative substances for subsequent technology cosmetics packaging. Revlon has signed a memorandum of expertise to order industrial volumes of Origin PET as a part of the initiative. The joint initiative intends to pursue the speedy improvement and commercialization of recent sustainable substances for cosmetics packaging, primarily based on Origin's patented generation platform. Such initiatives would further leverage the packaging machinery market in the region.
- According to a survey conducted recently by DayOne Tech, Artificial Intelligence has significant potential to bring transformative experiences to the packaging industry. With AI being implemented in a wide range of processes in the packaging industry, expect the technology to make its mark throughout the supply chain. As one of the leading technologies, AI solutions can become the packaging industry's future.
- Further, according to the PMMI, shipments of packaging and processing machinery to the U.S. have increased despite global setbacks such as the COVID-19 pandemic and the conflict of the Russia-Ukraine war. Domestic shipments of packaging machinery were anticipated to grow 11.2% to USD 10.5 billion in the previous year and 5.4% to USD 12.9 billion by 2027.
Cosmetic Packaging Machinery Market Competitor AnalysisThe cosmetic packaging machinery market is fragmented, with many big players offering solutions, such as Bosch Packaging Technology, Inc, IMA Industria Macchine Automatiche SpA, Marchesini group SpA, Packys Global Ltd, Promach Inc, Turbofil Packaging Machines, more. Companies are engaged in new product innovation, acquisitions, collaborations, etc., to increase their market share.
In December 2022, Marchesini Group acquired Rejves Machinery and planned to exceed half a billion in turnover in 2023. Rejves Machinery Srl is specialized in the construction of filling and capping machines for packaging cosmetic, pharmaceutical, chemical, and food products. This acquisition reinforces Marchesini Group's beauty division.
In February 2022, ProMach announced the acquisition of TechniBlend, a provider of engineered process systems for the liquid processing industry. The addition of TechniBlend significantly boosts ProMach's processing technologies portfolio. TechniBlend delivers a full suite of high-quality, technologically advanced liquid processing machinery and services across numerous market segments, including personal care, food, household, and other products.
Additional benefits of purchasing the report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Growing Demand for Personal Healthcare Products
4.5.2 Increasing Industrial Automation
4.6 Market Challenges
4.6.1 High Intitial Capital Requirement
5.1.1 Form/Fill/Seal Machinery
5.1.2 Labelling Machinery
5.1.3 Capping Machinery
5.1.4 Wrapping Machinery
5.1.5 Other Machine Types
5.2 By Geography
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 Latin America
5.2.5 Middle East & Africa
6.1.1 Bosch Packaging Technology, Inc. (Robert Bosch GmbH)
6.1.2 IMA Industria Macchine Automatiche SpA
6.1.3 Marchesini Group SpA
6.1.4 Packsys Global Ltd
6.1.5 Prosy's Innovative Packaging Equipment
6.1.6 Turbofil Packaging Machine, LLC
6.1.7 Vetraco Group
6.1.8 Zhejiang Rigao Machinery Corporation, ltd.
6.1.9 Wimco Ltd
6.1.10 ProMach Inc.
6.1.11 Liquid Packaging Solutions Inc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Bosch Packaging Technology, Inc. (Robert Bosch GmbH)
- IMA Industria Macchine Automatiche SpA
- Marchesini Group SpA
- Packsys Global Ltd
- Prosy's Innovative Packaging Equipment
- Turbofil Packaging Machine, LLC
- Vetraco Group
- Zhejiang Rigao Machinery Corporation, ltd.
- Wimco Ltd
- ProMach Inc.
- Liquid Packaging Solutions Inc.