Global Osteoporosis pharmaceutical market in 2017 was $7.4B, including both branded and generic products. The branded market accounted for $3.4B in sales. As such, osteoporosis remains a highly genericized market dominated by the sales of generic bisphosphates, which accounted for 41% of the global market in 2017.
Despite being a market currently monopolized by generics, osteoporosis is expected to undergo substantial change between 2017 and 2027. Clear changes are already being seen with the recent launch of Radius Health’s Tymlos (abaloparatide) in the US in 2017. Anabolic agents are likely to further revolutionize the market with the arrival of a novel sclerostin inhibitor, Evenity (romosozumab), and teriparatide biosimilars. This diversification of the anabolic offering will increase competition in this space, driving down high price tags and potentially bolstering the use of these therapies up the treatment paradigm.
Even with multiple classes of therapy options and a well-established treatment paradigm, there still remains high unmet need with in the osteoporosis market. A major outstanding need is the low rate of diagnosis and treatment. A further need is the continued concern around the safety profiles of treatment options and the long-term use of therapies. The need to reduce the burden of prolonged treatment in this chronic disease is abundantly clear and is unlikely to be met by the current state of the pipeline.
Furthermore, there is a desire for a therapy that can combine an improved safety profile with a novel mechanism of action, which can provide a stronger efficacy than current therapies. Such a therapy should go above and beyond that of current prescriber favorite, bisphosphates, and provide an option that not only prevents bone resorption but also stimulates bone formation.
The arrival of new anabolic agents and the loss of patent protection for key branded therapies will shape the osteoporosis market over the forecast period. However, poor diagnosis rates, badly perceived drug side effects, and low compliance rates will continue to prove major barriers to growth over the next 10 years.
- Overview of osteoporosis, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized osteoporosis therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in four patient segments (postmenopausal, male, glucocorticoid-induced and osteopenia) forecast from 2017 to 2027.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the osteoporosis therapeutics market
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for osteoporosis therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global osteoporosis therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
The report will enable you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global osteoporosis therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global osteoporosis therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
2 The Changing Face of the Global Electricity Transmission System
2.1 Toward Higher Voltages to Reduce Losses
2.2 Drivers for Investment in New Transmission Projects and Upgrades
2.3 Smart Grid in Transmission
2.4 Challenges for Grid Modernization/Smart Grid Implementation
2.5 Construction of DC Interconnections is on the Rise
2.6 Other Innovations in Transmission Technology
List of Tables
Table 1: Power Transmission Market, Change in Line Length of HVDC Lines (Ckm and %), Global, 2017-2025
List of Figures
Figure 1: Power Transmission Market, Cumulative Transmission Line Length in Top 15 Countries (Ckm), 2017-2022
Figure 2: Power Transmission Market, Emerging Two-Way Grid Infrastructure, Global, 2018 6