Casablanca and Rabat are the major regions of Morocco in terms of economic activity; they contribute 11.6% of the total population.
Mining, manufacturing and utilities activities contributed 23% to gross value added (GVA) in 2016, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (15.7%), and wholesale, retail and hotels (11.5%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are grew by 5.6%, 5.8% and 5%, respectively, in 2017.
- France, the UAE and Saudi Arabia contributed the largest shares of FDI inflow to Morocco in 2017.
- As per World Bank's logistics performance index (LPI), transport and logistics infrastructure in Morocco declined over the last five years with a decrease in rank from 50th in 2012 to 86th out of 160 countries in 2016.
- The Moroccan government has planned to invest around EUR23bn (US$25.4bn) in various infrastructure projects between 2017 and 2035.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
Did You Know?
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: Morocco’s Performance in terms of Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to the Middle East and North Africa, and the World Average
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights Behind the Index
Exhibit 4: Casablanca Stock Market Index-MASI
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: Net Inflows and Outflows (2014-2017) and FDI by Nature of Operation (2016)
Exhibit 7: FDI by Country (2016) and FDI Inflows by Sector (2016)
Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2014-2016
Exhibit 14: Electrical Machinery, Equipment and Parts Thereof, 2016
Exhibit 15: Interest Rates
Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate and Inflation Rate
Exhibit 17: Public Finance
Exhibit 18: General Government Debt
Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population
Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 24: Gender Split
Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2016
Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 27: High-technology exports (% of Manufactured Exports)
Exhibit 28: Doing Business in Morocco 2018
Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions