- The views of 81 Italian patient groups.
- Drawn from a November 2017-February 2018 survey.
Providing patient information and support lie at the heart of what Italian patient groups do
The patient movement is widespread across the Italian peninsula, and largely community based. PatientView’s currently-running survey, ‘Benchmarking the Patient Movement, 2018’ (results to be published August 2018), confirms that the primary functions of Italian patient groups are to:
- provide information to patients
- offer peer support, and
- represent patients’ interests at both a political level, and with health professionals.
Thus, information, knowledge, and communication all lie at the heart of Italian patient-group activities. And it is these latter activities that Italian patient groups emphasise when discussing how pharma companies can improve their corporate reputation.
What Italian patient groups said about pharma's corporate reputation and activities
Over half of Italian patient groups believed pharma to be "Excellent" or "Good" in 2017 at innovation (51%), and at providing high-quality products (57%).
Italian patient groups do, however, take a more negative viewpoint than patient groups worldwide of some of the pharmaceutical industry's other key activities [see Charts 2-4], notably the provision of patient information, and transparency in disclosing the details of the funding of healthcare stakeholders - which, in turn, negatively impacts on Italian patient groups’ perceptions of the pharma industry’s integrity. In addition, Italian patient groups are more negative than patient groups worldwide about pharma’s ability to provide services ‘beyond the pill’.
A call for further engagement with pharma
Although Italian patient groups commented on almost every aspect of pharma activity (to some degree), the dominant theme they expressed was frustration with pharma’s less-than-effective communicational record. Italian patient groups called for better interaction with pharma. The comment from the Associazione per la Lotta alla Trombosi e alle malattie cardiovascolari Onlus (ALT) was a case in point.
The Italian patient groups produced an extensive list as to how they think pharma companies should improve their communication efforts with patient groups and patients
Italian patient groups also argued that listening should be part of the communication process, with pharmaceutical companies needing to spend more time listening to patients’ perspectives—particularly on issues related to research and development (as well as on the performance of treatment, once it is prescribed). A few Italian patient groups felt that patient/patient-group input into pharmaceutical-company R&D was a prerequisite if a company wanted to gain itself a good corporate reputation.
So, how did the companies perform at corporate reputation in 2017, in the viewpoints of Italian patient groups?
Ranking at corporate reputation is measured by patient groups familiar with a company. The rankings of the top companies in 2017 were largely similar to those of 2016.
- AbbVie was ranked overall 1st out of 17 companies in 2017. AbbVie was also ranked 1st in 2017 for six of the 12 individual indicators of corporate reputation.
- Roche was ranked overall 2nd. Roche was ranked 1st for one of the 12 individual indicators of corporate reputation.
- Eli Lilly was ranked overall 3rd. Lilly was ranked 1st for four of the 12 individual indicators of corporate reputation.
The company which was given the biggest improvement in ranking 2016-2017 by Italian patient groups familiar with it was Janssen, which rose from 16th out of 16 companies in 2016, to 9th out of 17 companies in 2017. Janssen was also ranked 1st in 2017 for one of the 12 individual indicators of corporate reputation.
Italian Patient-Group Relationships With Pharma, 2017
Industry-Wide Findings, 2017
Rankings Of The 17 Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 Among Italian Patient Groups Familiar With The Companies
Positionings Of 10 Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 Among Italian Patient Groups That Work/Partner With The Companies
Profiles Of The 17 Companies, 2017
I. Italian Patient Groups: Views On Pharma; And Recommendations For Improvement
II. Profiles Of 81 Respondent Italian Patient Groups, 2017
Tables and Charts
The Pharma Industry’s Corporate Reputation Over Time, 2014-2017 (According To Italian Patient Groups)
Number Of Italian Patient Groups Familiar, And Partnering, With The 17 Companies, 2017
The Ways In Which Pharmaceutical Companies Help Their Italian Patient-Group Partners, 2017
The Corporate Reputation Of The Pharmaceutical Industry, 2017 V. 2016 - Compared With
That Of Seven Other Healthcare Sectors, According To Italian Patient Groups
The Pharma Industry’S Corporate Reputation Over Time, 2014-2017 (According To Italian Patient Groups)
Italian Patient Groups’ Views On The Efficacy Of The Pharmaceutical Industry At The Indicators Of Corporate Reputation, 2017 - Chart and Table
Italian Patient Groups’ Views On The Efficacy Of The Pharmaceutical Industry At The Indicators Of Corporate Reputation, 2017 V. 2016 V. Patient Groups Worldwide 2017
Italian Patient Groups’ Views On The Efficacy Of The Pharmaceutical Industry At Indicators Of Corporate Reputation, 2017, Compared With The Views Of Patient Groups
From 17 Other Countries/Regions, Plus Worldwide-Analysis By Each Indicator
Rankings Of 17 Individual Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 (According To Italian Patient Groups Familiar With The Company)
Positionings Of 10 Individual Pharma Companies, 2017 V. 2016 (According To Italian Patient Groups That Work/Partner With The Company)
Profiles of the 25 Companies, 2017
Charts and Tables For Each Of The 17 Companies:
- Number of Italian patient groups claiming familiarity with the company, 2017.
- Number of Italian patient groups saying that they had a working relationship with the company, 2017.
- Company performance scores among Italian patient groups familiar with the company, and which worked with the company, for each of the 12 indicators of corporate reputation, 2017.
- Percentage of the Italian patient groups that worked with the company, but which also worked with other companies, 2017.
- Profile of respondent Italian patient groups familiar with the company, 2017: specialties; geographic remit; and the ways in which the company helps its Italian partner patient groups.
- The company’s PCRIs (Patient Corporate Reputation Index) for each of the 12 indicators-as assessed by Italian patient groups familiar with the company, 2017 v. 2016 v. 2015.
- Overall rankings for the company according to Italian patient groups familiar with the company, 2017.
- Overall positionings for the company according to Italian patient groups that work with the company, 2017.
- Company rankings for each of the 12 indicators according to Italian patient groups familiar, or working, with the company, 2017 v. 2016.