This study forecasts small-satellite launch demand based on operators’ maturity, mass classes, and user segments. It also details the projected small satellite launch capacity supply and analyses the alignment of launch demand and supply for multiple forecast scenarios. The study includes the new developments in the small satellite value chain for Q1 2018.
Small satellites are at the spotlight of the evolution of space industry. The small-satellite ecosystem is expanding at an accelerated pace with new entrants offering innovative new space solutions and existing players expanding their portfolio by investments in the small-satellite value chain. It becomes very important to investigate the past and current state of the small satellite market and forecast the future scenarios. Many small satellite constellation operators have advanced in their development processes and will generate continuous and recurring launch demand for their constellation installation and replacement missions. At present, nearly all small satellites use the rideshare capacity as a secondary payload on the existing launch vehicles. This makes their project schedule and mission requirements dependent on the primary payload. Also, the existing rideshare capacity will not be sufficient to address the small satellite launch demand in future. Many incumbent and new players have sensed the upcoming small satellite demand and have started planning for providing dedicated services and launch flexibility to the small satellite operators in order to capture the future small satellite launch market.
What makes our reports unique?
The report tracks the changing dynamics every quarter and updates the forecast based on latest events. The report exposes the readers to the latest forecast numbers and the major changes, empowering them to the most informed decision making. A bottom-up and detailed approach is applied to forecast the small-satellite launch demand. The study defines multiple forecast scenarios based on the maturity of satellite operators. More than 250 operators across the user segments are considered for the forecast. Number of small satellites, payload mass, and launch revenue are forecasted on the basis of defined scenarios, satellite mass classes, and user segments. The study also includes the launch capacity forecast for both rideshare and dedicated launch services segments and analyses the alignment between the small satellite launch demand and capacity supply.
- Product scope: Small-satellite launch services market
- Geographic scope: Global
- End-user scope: All companies related to the space industry
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the changes that have resulted in the change of the previously forecasted numbers?
- What is the future demand for launching small satellites, based on user segments and mass classes and operator’s maturity, in the forecast period (2018-2030)?
- What is the future payload mass demand for launching the small satellites in the forecast period?
- What is the projected revenue of the small-satellite launch market?
- What is the forecasted launch capacity supply and how aligned is it with the small-satellite launch demand?
- What are the key small-satellite and launch vehicle developments in the first quarter of 2018?
1. Executive Summary
2. Definitions and Segmentations
Small Satellites-Definition and Forecast Scenarios
Segmentation of Small-satellite Users and Mass Classes
Small-satellite and Launch Capacity Forecasts
3. Major Changes in Q2 2018
Q2 2018 Forecasts with Respect to Q1 2018 Forecasts
4. Small-satellite Launch Demand Forecast by Scenarios, User Segments, and Mass Classes-Number of Satellites
Small-satellite Launch Demand Forecast-Total
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Forecast by User Segment
High-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Forecast by User Segment
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Forecast by Mass Class (kg)
High-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Forecast-By Mass Class (kg)
5. Payload Mass Forecast by Scenarios, User Segments, and Mass Classes
Small-satellite Payload Mass Launch Demand Forecast-Total
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Payload Mass Forecast by User Segment
High-Scenario Small-satellite Payload Mass Launch Forecast by User Segment
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Payload Mass Forecast by Mass Class (kg)
High-scenario Small-satellite Launch Payload Mass Forecast by Mass Class (kg)
6. Launch Revenue Forecast Based on Launch Demand by Scenarios, User Segments, and Mass Classes
Small-satellite Launch Demand Revenue Forecast-Total
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Launch Revenue Forecast-By User Segment
High-scenario Small-satellite Revenue Forecast by User Segment
Low- and Mid-Scenario Small-satellite Revenue Forecast by Mass Class (kg)
High-scenario Small-satellite Revenue Forecast by Mass Class (kg)
7. Launch Capacity Forecast-Rideshare and Dedicated
Launch Capacity Forecast Assumptions
State of Small-satellite Market-Launch Capacity Supply Forecast
8. Small-satellite Launch Demand Versus Launch Capacity Supply
Small-satellite Launch Demand versus Capacity Supply
9. Key Small-satellite Events and Developments in Q1 2018
Key Small-satellite Launches in Q1 2018
Key Small-satellite Industry Developments, Q1 2018
Key Launch Service Industry Developments, Q1 2018
List of Exhibits