The way consumers view and interact with packages is changing, with growing focus on sustainability; traditional packaging solutions are being replaced by innovative and more viable sustainable packaging. Millions of packaged items are shipped throughout the world on a daily basis, which creates waste. Also, many of the conventional packing materials are not recyclable. As the companies transport goods from factories to warehouses, and then to retailers in a huge amount coupled with the number of online orders placed daily, there is a hugely wasteful amount of plastics, Styrofoam, cardboard, and paper which are non-recyclable. To overcome this challenge, companies are focusing on green packaging solutions, which are either recyclable or have a lower impact on the environment.
Emergence of Sustainable Materials, such as Bio-Plastics to Drive the Market
Innovations in recent times have enabled the development of sustainable and customized flexible packaging solutions, which have led to a rise in the green packaging market. The emergence alternative materials based on polymers in the packaging industry, such as bio-plastics in line with the existing demand for environment-friendly packaging, is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. These materials can be used to reduce the problem of contaminating plastic waste that is suffocating and contaminating the environment.
Also, they are already used in agriculture, textile industry, medicine, and container & packaging market. Biopolymers are already becoming popular in cities throughout Europe and the United States for ecological reasons. Moreover, its rising prominence in developing countries is expected to drive the market.
Food & Beverage is the Largest Market
Food consumption has witnessed a high growth in the recent past, creating a demand for the packaged food products with an extended shelf life and sterility. The dynamic structure of the food industry is evolving, as different parts of the supply chain are turning towards innovation to meet the increasing needs of the consumers. Moroever, the global food industry has witnessed sales in excess of USD 4 trillion, every year, through retail sales. Additionally, a growing consumption of beverages in developing countries is also expected to augment the growth. Also, the use of recyclable metal cans in the beverage industry, which results in almost 80% energy savings is anticipitated to boost the market growth.
Asia-Pacific is the Largest Market
The region occupies the highest share owing to high demand in the end user industries, specifically, in the food & beverage industry. A growing middle-class population that is increasingly becoming affluent and conscious of health and environmental issues also boosts the demand. Moreover, the initiatives are taken by respective governments, such as, in Singapore where the companies will have to report their packaging data and submit packaging reduction plans by 2021. These new rules are part of a plan to extend the lifespan of the island nation’s only landfill site, and to curb the generation of packaging waste. Also, government rules in other countries, such as India (Plastic Waste Management Rules) to curb the waste, and support the adoption of recyclable materials is expected to drive the demand for sustainable solutions.
Key Developments in the Market
- January 2018: McDonald’s announced that all of its packaging will be made from renewable, recycled or certified materials by 2025. The restaurant aims for all of its 37,000 restaurants around the world to use these products. Currently, half of McDonald’s packaging is made from sustainable materials, and only 10% of its outlets are recycled
- December 2017: The Kroger Co. announced it had joined the Sustainable Packaging Coalition (SPC), a membership-based collaborative of like-minded companies striving to advance sustainable packaging. It has joined more than 130 brands, manufacturers, government officials, academics, and organizations in SPC
- May 2017: TIPA Sustainable Packaging, a developer and manufacturer of bio-based, compostable, flexible packaging, and Jindal Films Europe, involved in the development & manufacture of specialty packaging & labeling film solutions announced the signature of partnership agreement at Interpack 2017
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To analyze the increasing number of point-of-care tests and its effect on the market scenario
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The product that is expected to dominate the market
- End-user and region that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Emergence of Sustainable Materials, such as Bio-plastics
4.2.2 Environmental Concerns and Stringent Regulations Regarding Raw Materials and Dumping Wastes
4.2.3 Increasing adoption of Recyclable Materials
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 Fluctuating Raw Material Cost and Higher Production Costs
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Industry Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Global Green Packaging Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type of Packaging
5.1.1 Recycled Content Packaging
5.1.2 Reusable Packaging
5.1.3 Degradable Packaging
5.2 By End-user
5.2.3 Personal Care
5.3 By Region
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
6.1 Amcor Limited
6.2 Mondi Group
6.3 Sealed Air
6.4 Tetra Pak International S.A.
6.5 Winpak Limited
6.6 Berry Global Inc.
6.7 Bemis Company Inc.
6.8 BASF SE
6.9 Huhtumaki Oyj
6.10 DowDu Pont
*List is not exhaustive
7. Investment Analysis
8. Future Outlook of Green PackagingMarket