The global dairy alternative market, in terms of value, is projected to reach about USD 26 billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of about 10.4% from 2018 to 2023. Dairy alternatives are milk like texture products, which are lactose free and used as a replacement of dairy based products. These alternatives are majorly adopted by various cereals such as oats, wheat, rice, barley and nuts. Plant-based dairy alternatives, that are widely available in supermarkets, include various milk options such as soy, almond, coconut, rice, hemp and flax, in addition to dairy-free yogurts, frozen desserts, spreads, and cheeses. Better health related benefits, including high energy levels as compared to normal dairy products, are expected to be the key factors, owing to which, people are shifting from regular products or beverages to its alternatives.
Dairy Alternatives Market Dynamics
The primary factors driving the dairy alternative market are:
- Increase in lactose Intolerance and milk allergy
- Nutritional values of plant based dairy alternatives
- Changed lifestyle causing obesity and gastrointestinal problems
The major restraints for Global Dairy Alternates market are:
- High pricing of dairy alternatives as compared to dairy based products
- Lack of protein and cross contamination of raw materials
The factors that can provide opportunities to the key players of the market are:
- Innovative marketing practices and creating awareness
- Increasing demand from developing countries
Considering the market segmentation of dairy alternatives, there are various food and beverage options available in supermarkets, convenience stores, pharmacies and health stores to grab the attention of the consumer. However, the major market share is taken by beverages in the global scenario and it is expected to grow in the coming years. The sales channel followed by dairy alternatives is similar to that of dairy options in convenience stores and supermarkets.
The types of dairy alternatives available consists of almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk and various other nut based milks such as cashew, hazelnut etc. Soy milk has been the oldest option available to replace dairy milk. However, substitutes such as almond milk and coconut milk have grabbed the market significantly in the last couple of years. The dollar sales of almond milk have increased by 40% on unit and volume, from 2013 to 2014. It accounts for more than one- half of the total category sales. Rice milk, nut based milk and coconut milk are in the growing phase. However, almond milk is leading the market and expected to be customers first preference in the forecast period.
The availability of dairy alternative products based on two types: unsweetened and sweetened. However, the plain unsweetened formulation is projected to dominate the dairy alternatives market due to the health conscious behaviors of customers, which tips them towards healthy versions of available products.
Dairy Alternatives Market - Regional Analysis
Asia-Pacific is the largest market for dairy alternatives. China, being dominant in the Asia-Pacific region, especially contributes to the soymilk market share. Factors such as increasing health awareness among the consumers, increasing population and rise in the disposable income of the consumers are boosting the demand for dairy alternatives. North America is the second largest market for dairy alternatives after Asia-Pacific. North America and Europe are considered as growing markets of dairy alternative beverages.
Dairy Alternatives Market Competitive Landscape
Major Players - BLUE DIAMOND GROWERS, CALIFIA FARMS, DAIYA FOODS INC., EARTHS OWN FOOD COMPANY INC., EDEN FOODS INC., ORGANIC VALLEY, PACIFIC FOODS OF OREGON LLC, SANITARIUM HEALTH & WELLBEING COMPANY, SUNOPTA INC., THE HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP INC., THE WHITE WAVE FOOD COMPANY and VITASOY, among others.
To maintain a competitive edge in the dairy alternatives market, the key players invest in launching new products and expanding their geographical presence. They are also focusing on acquisitions and expansion & investments of their facilities, to enter the markets. Investment in extensive research and development and new products launches in different sizes, flavors and packaging, continues to be the strategy employed by companies to market their products.
Thus, the alternative option for dairy products market is small and new. However, increasing awareness and innovations for new products will lead the market to have substantial growth in the years to come.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Market Insights
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Trends
2.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porters Five Forces Analysis
2.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
2.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
2.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
2.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
2.3.5 Degree of Competition
3. Market Dynamics
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Type
4.1.2 Soy Based
4.1.3 Almond Based
4.1.4 Coconut Based
4.1.5 Rice Based
4.2 By Application
4.3 By Formulation
184.108.40.206 Plain Formulation
220.127.116.11 Flavored Formulation
18.104.22.168 Plain Formulation
22.214.171.124 Flavored Formulation
4.4 By Sales Channel
4.4.3 Convenience Store
4.4.4 Health Food Store
5. Regional Market Analysis
5.1 North America
5.1.4 Rest of North America
5.2.7 Rest of Europe
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4 South America
5.4.3 Rest of South America
5.5.1 South Africa
5.5.2 Rest of Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Daiya Foods Inc.
7.2 Blue Diamond Growers
7.3 The White Wave Food Company
7.4 Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company
7.5 The Hain Celestial Group Inc.
7.6 Califia Farms
7.7 Earths Own Food Company Inc.
7.8 Eden Foods Inc.
7.9 Pacific Foods of Oregon LLC
7.11 Sunopta Inc.
7.12 Organic Valley
- Blue Diamond Growers
- Califia Farms
- Daiya Foods Inc.
- Earths Own Food Company Inc.
- Eden Foods Inc.
- Organic Valley
- Pacific Foods of Oregon LLC SAnitarium Health & Wellbeing Company
- Sunopta Inc.
- The Hain Celestial Group Inc.
- The White Wave Food Company