The global meat snack market is expected to register a CAGR of 8.4% during 2018 to 2023 (the forecast period). Meat snacks are popular snacks, in the savory snacks category, and this market is witnessing a strong growth rate, since the past five years, mostly targeting travelers, as these snacks are a convenient option, and also, they have a high demand from the millennial generation. The introduction of new products and flavors drives the market. Manufacturers are launching new flavors, like jalapeno, teriyaki, and habanero. The increasing number of mergers and acquisitions is expected to boost the market growth, during the forecast period. The meat snack market is an attractive sector, with a large untapped market. Cost-effectiveness and convenience make meat snacks travel-friendly.
Increasing Consumer Preference towards Ready-To-Eat Meat Products
North America has recorded the highest number of travelers, by road, among all the countries, worldwide. Among the travelers, about one-third are business travelers, and the rest are leisure travelers. With the availability of gas/convenience stores along the way, jerky or dried meat snacks have become popular. These are easy to grab and store. Due to the availability of these products in small packets, wastage is avoided, this strategy has caught the attention of travelers, who prefer and demand more such food items.
A majority of the consumers prefer meat snacks, as a source of high-protein content, and the low-calorie content is an added advantage for meat snacks, especially in jerky-based products. Due to the abundant availability of c-stores along the road, sales are more concentrated in this channel. Jerky holds around 50% of sales in the product category
North America to Dominate the Market
North America accounted for the major share of the market, globally, during 2016, and it is expected to record a CAGR of 7.2% between 2018 and 2023. The United States is the largest market in the North American region, due to higher consumption of meat snacks, after salty potato chips, due to its convenience. The high-protein content in the product acts as an appetite suppressor and energy booster, which drives the growth of the global meat snack market. Jerky consumption is high among the developed markets, beef jerky sales, in the United States, grew by nearly 7% in 2017.
Due to high adoption of these products, since a decade, the Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at faster rate. New marketing strategies adopted by players, such as Jack Links and Slim Jim, are driving sales, by targeting millennials, with new packing models and exotic flavors in the European and Asia-Pacific region. As consumers are snacking more on-the-go, the demand for handheld protein has never been higher.
Though dried meat snacks are traditionally consumed, sales have declined, due to various reasons. However, new marketing strategies, such as the introduction of new flavors, innovative packaging, impressive offers or discounts, partnerships and franchise, have revived sales and the market is growing at a good rate.
- July 2017 - The makers of Hormel® Natural Choice® deli meats announced four, new, all-natural deli meat snacks, paired with cheddar or pepper jack cheese, and a dark-chocolate confection.
- May 2017 - Paleo-friendly meat sticks are the latest product innovation from Country Archer Jerky. The variety is made with 100% grass-fed and finished beef and turkey, raised without antibiotics or added hormones.
Major players – BRIDGFORD FOODS, CONAGRA, DUKES SMOKED MEATS, GOLDEN VALLEY NATURAL, HORMEL FOODS, JACK LINKS, KEPAK GROUP, KERRY GROUP, KING ELITE SNACKS, MARFOOD USA and MEATSNACKS GROUP, among others.
Key strategies adopted by the players in the meat snack market are acquisitions and new product launches. In 2017, Conagra Brands Inc., (NYSE: CAG) announced the acquisition of protein-based snacking businesses, Thanasi Foods LLC, maker of Dukes® meat snacks, and BIGS LLC, maker of BIGS® seeds.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative & quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic & non-economic aspects
- Regional and Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Market Insights
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Trends
2.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porters Five Forces Analysis
2.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
2.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
2.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
2.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
2.3.5 Degree of Competition
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Increased Demand for Ready-to-eat Food
3.1.2 Introduction of New Products and Flavors
3.2.1 Presence of Vegan Alternatives
3.2.2 Low Penetration of Products among Demographics
3.3.1 Increasing Popularity of Meat Protein Bars
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type
4.2 By Flavor
4.3 By Distribution Channel
4.3.1 Convenience Stores
4.3.3 Online Retail
5. Regional Market Analysis
5.1 North America
5.1.4 Rest of North America
5.2.7 Rest of Europe
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4 South America
5.4.3 Rest of South America
5.5.1 South Africa
5.5.2 Rest of Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.2 Hormel Foods
7.3 Jack Links
7.4 King Elite Snacks
7.5 Marfood USA
7.6 Meatsnacks Group
7.7 Bridgford Foods
7.8 Dukes Smoked Meats
7.9 Golden Valley Natural
7.10 Kepak Group, Kerry Group