The global dietary supplements market was valued at USD 96 billion in 2017, and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.9%, during the forecast period.
The dietary supplements market is preliminarily driven by the paradigm shift toward preventive health management practices amid rising healthcare costs and increasing burden of lifestyle diseases. Digitization in retail is expected to boost the future growth of dietary supplements. Moreover, the popularity of herbal and probiotic supplements is also expected to drive the market growth in the future.
Dietary Supplements Market Dynamics
The healthcare cost is substantially high in emerging economies due to higher per-capita spending on healthcare amid the burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases. Such trends have prompted consumers to opt for dietary supplements. The intense focus on preventive healthcare system, coupled with robust endorsements and marketing efforts of lifestyle enhancement products, is also driving the growth of dietary supplements market. The time-pressed work schedules have elevated the incidences of stress, hypertension and low-energy levels. Consumers have increasingly turned to alternative healthcare channels by educating themselves about the herbal supplement products and other such supplements. The robust expansion of E-commerce and proliferation of other retail channels carries a significant opportunity for the sustainable development of dietary supplements market.
A major hurdle for the growth of the market studied is its undefined scope and the regulatory inefficiencies.
Dietary Supplements Market Segmentation
Based on product type, the vitamin segment is a steadily growing whereas the fatty acid segment represents the fastest growing supplement segment due to popularity of omega-3-based supplements. Dietary supplements, such as vitamins, minerals, botanicals, enzymes, fatty acids, and proteins, help promote general health and well-being, by preventing nutritional deficiency diseases. The vitamin segment of the global dietary supplement market was valued at USD 34.39 billion in 2017, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.6% during the forecast period. Mineral-based dietary supplement is a well-established segment of the overall nutraceutical market, owing to its longstanding tradition of use and years of clinical research.
Dietary Supplements Market - Regional Analysis
Asia-Pacific holds the major share in the market, followed by North America and Europe. Health professionals across the North American region recommend dietary supplements to their patients, to combat health challenges. The European dietary supplement market was valued at USD 18.06 billion in 2017. The regional growth is dominated by Western European countries, such as Italy and Germany however, Eastern markets, like Belarus, Hungary, and Russia have shown promising potential. Demand for supplements in countries like India, China, and Japan has increased in the recent years, owing to the considerable presence of the aging population in such developing countries. Brazil is leading the dietary supplement market in South America. Countries like Brazil, Chile, and Peru are expected to experience potential market growth, while the other countries of the region, including Argentina, Venezuela, and Columbia in particular, have become more aware of health benefits of dietary supplements, which is likely to fuel the overall regional demand.
Key Developments in Dietary Supplements Market
- In May 2018, Deerland Enzymes & Probiotics launched a new water-soluble form of its Bacillus subtilis spore-forming probiotic strain which is not only heat-tolerant but can also be more easily incorporated into hot beverages, gummies, and functional drinks.
- Activ Nutritional LLC launched Viactiv Digestive Health Soft Chews, expanding the iconic Viactiv supplement brand into the expanding digestive health category.
- In May 2018, Good Day Chocolate created a category of on-the-go chocolate supplements for adults including Sleep, Energy and Calm, Multivitamin, and Probiotic that support daily health and digestion wellness while Sleep and Calm provide sleep and anxiety relief.
Major Players - ADVOCARE, AMWAY, BAYER AG, BLACKMORE LTD., DHC, GNC, GSK, HERBALIFE LTD., INTEGRATED BIOPHARMA, INC., KONINKLIJKE DSM N.V., MERCK, NATURES BOUNTY, INC., NU SKIN, OMEGA PROTEIN CORPORATION, OTSUKA PHARMACEUTICALS, PFIZER, RECKITT BENCKISER, SANOFI, SUNTORY and WYETH, among others.
The global dietary supplement market faces high competition. The North American dietary supplement market is fragmented and consequently witnesses high competition, Herbalife, Amway, and Farmacias Similares SA de CV are the leading players. The Asia-Pacific dietary supplement market is fragmented, and the major shareholding players include Herbalife, Amway, Natures Bounty Inc., Reckitt Benckiser, Ranbaxy, Dabur, and Blackmore. Herbalife, and Bayer top the chart, accounting for around 15% of the market, among high competition.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Market Insights
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Trends
2.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porters Five Forces Analysis
2.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
2.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
2.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
2.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
2.3.5 Degree of Competition
3. Market Dynamics
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Ingredients
4.1.5 Fatty Acids
4.2 By Health Benefits
4.2.1 General Health
4.2.4 Digestive health
4.2.5 Bone and Joint Health
4.2.6 Heart Health
5. Regional Market Analysis
5.1 North America
5.1.4 Rest of North America
5.2.7 Rest of Europe
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4 South America
5.4.3 Rest of South America
5.5.1 South Africa
5.5.2 Rest of Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Natures Bounty, Inc.
7.3 Herbalife Ltd.
7.4 Omega Protein Corporation
7.5 Bayer AG
7.6 Integrated BioPharma, Inc.
7.7 Blackmore Ltd.
7.8 Koninklijke DSM N.V.
7.14 Nu Skin
7.17 Reckitt Benckiser
7.19 Otsuka Pharmaceuticals
- Bayer AG
- Blackmore Ltd.
- Herbalife Ltd.
- Integrated BioPharma Inc.
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- Natures Bounty Inc.
- Nu Skin
- Omega Protein Corporation
- Otsuka Pharmaceuticals
- Reckitt Benckiser SAnofi