Spurred by environmental campaigns, the activated carbon industry has been growing steadily in China. The global activated carbon market was worth approximately USD2.84 billion in 2017, showing a CAGR of 13.0% between 2012 and 2017, and the market size is estimated to reach USD3.22 billion in 2018 and over USD6.0 billion in 2023.
China is a big producer of activated carbon around the globe, with its production beginning to pick up along with the growing demand from downstream sectors over the recent years. In 2017, China produced about 493 kt of activated carbon (almost at the level in 2011), up 5.3% from a year earlier, and the output figure is expected to jump to 517 kt in 2018. In future, the activated carbon market will balloon further under the impetus of national policy and demand growth, and the output will maintain an AAGR of at least 5.0% during 2018-2023.
As far as segmented products are concerned, Chinese activated carbon market is led by coal-based activated carbon whose output reached 316 kt as a percentage of over 64.0% in national total output of activated carbon in 2017. Due to the supply-side reform in the coal industry and the state's policy support for the wood-based activated carbon industry, the market share of coal-based activated carbon will be squeezed progressively by wood-based activated carbon.
When it comes to prices, the price of activated carbon began to rebound in 2017. Elaborately, the price of coal-based activated carbon surged by more than 20.0% from RMB6,000/ton or so at the beginning of the year to around RMB7,300/ton at the end of the year; the price of wood-based activated carbon ascended by about 13.0%. Price hikes were largely due to demand growth and higher production costs caused by environmental protection laws.
In China, competition remains a stable pattern in the activated carbon market. For the main manufacturers of coal-based activated carbon in 2017, CR5 was 48.0%. Wood-based activated carbon in 2017, CR5 was above 50.0%.
The Chinese activated carbon market in future will be characterized as follows:
- The activated carbon regeneration market enjoys bright prospects, largely because:
- mishandling of ineffective waste carbon will cause secondary pollution
- the cost of incineration and purchasing new carbon is far higher than that of activated carbon regeneration
- regenerated activated carbon produces only one-fifth of the carbon dioxide that the new activated carbon does.
- The market demand for coconut shell-based activated carbon keeps ever growing. Activated carbon has been increasingly utilized in air and water purification as environmental pollution is becoming more serious. Because of supply-side reform in coal industry and the State’s stringent control on pollutants, the demand for coal-based activated carbon trends down, leaving room for the growth of coconut shell-based activated carbon.
- Activated carbon will find wider application in environmental protection, typically used in: recovery of organic solvents, desulfurization & denitrification, adsorption & concentration and catalytic combustion of organic vapors, sewage treatment, deep purification, etc.. Also, activated carbon has been used in agriculture, such as biological activated carbon base fertilizer.
Global and China Activated Carbon Industry Report, 2018-2023 underlines the followings:
- Activated carbon (definition, classification, sales model, industry chain, etc.);
- Global activated carbon industry (Overview, market size and structure, market size in major countries, etc.);
- China’s activated carbon industry (Overview, development environment, market situation, market structure, imports & exports, competitive landscape, development trends, etc.);
- Status quo of upstream sectors (wood cutting/processing, chemical activator, coal, etc.);
- Size, status quo, etc. of applied markets (water treatment, food & beverage, pharmaceuticals, automobile, chemical/metallurgy, etc.);
- 6 foreign and 19 Chinese activated carbon enterprises (operation, activated carbon business, etc.).
- The Chinese Version of this Report is Available on Request
1 Overview of Activated Carbon Industry
1.3 Application and Sales Model
1.4 Industry Chain
2 Global Activated Carbon Industry
2.2 Market Size
2.3 Market Structure
2.4 Competitive Pattern
2.5 Major Countries/Regions
2.5.1 United States
2.5.4 Western Europe
3 China Activated Carbon Industry
3.2 Development Environment
3.2.1 Regulatory System
3.2.2 Industry Policy
3.2.3 Trade Policy
3.3 Market Size
3.4 Market Structure
3.5 Import & Export
3.6 Competitive Pattern
3.7 Development Trends
3.7.1 Demand for Wood-based Activated Carbon Ascends
3.7.2 Some Uncompetitive Small Firms Will Be Forced Out of the Market
3.7.3 The Industry is Becoming Large and Standardized
3.7.4 Product Quality Gets Improved
3.7.5 The Activated Carbon Regeneration Market Enjoys Bright Prospects
3.7.6 The Market Demand for Coconut Shell-based Activated Carbon and Nut Shell-based Activated Carbon Keeps Growing
3.7.7 Activated Carbon Finds the Growing Application in Agricultural Production
4 Main Upstream Sectors of Activated Carbon
4.1 Wood Cutting & Processing Industry
4.1.1 Output Value
4.2 Chemical Activators (Phosphoric Acid, Zinc Chloride, etc.)
4.3 Coal Industry
4.3.1 Market Size
4.3.4 Import & Export
5 Key Applied Markets of Activated Carbon
5.1 Water Treatment
5.1.1 Activated Carbon Use in Water Treatment
5.1.2 Status Quo of Water Treatment Industry
5.2 Food & Beverage
5.2.1 Activated Carbon Use in Food & Beverage
5.2.2 Status Quo of Food & Beverage Industry
5.3.1 Activated Carbon Use in Pharmaceuticals
5.3.2 Status Quo of Pharmaceuticals Industry
5.4.1 Activated Carbon Use in Automobiles
5.4.2 Status Quo of Automobile Industry
5.5 Chemicals and Metallurgy
6. Leading Activated Carbon Companies Worldwide
6.1.3 Activated Carbon Business
6.1.5 Development in China
6.2.3 Revenue Structure
6.2.4 Gross Margin
6.2.5 Activated Carbon Business
6.3.3 Revenue Structure
6.3.4 Gross Margin
6.3.5 Activated Carbon Business
6.4 Osaka Gas Chemicals Group
6.4.2 Osaka Gas Chemicals (OGC)
6.4.3 Japan EnviroChemicals (JEC)
7. Leading Wood-based Activated Carbon Enterprises in China
7.1 Fujian Yuanli Active Carbon Co., Ltd.
7.1.3 Revenue Structure
7.1.4 Gross Margin
7.1.5 R & D and Investment
7.1.6 Customers and Suppliers
7.1.7 Production and Sales
7.1.8 Activated Carbon Business
7.2 Fujian Xinsen Carbon Co., Ltd.
7.3 Fujian Zhixing Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
7.3.3 R & D
7.3.4 Main Customers
7.4 Jiangsu Zhuxi Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
7.4.2 Activated Carbon Business
7.5 Shanghai Xingchang Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
7.5.2 Activated Carbon Business
7.6 Jiangsu Purestar EP Technology Co., Ltd.
7.6.3 Main Customers and Suppliers
7.7.1 Chifeng Zhonglin Zhongtian Chemical Industry
7.7.2 Golden Lake Carbon
7.7.3 Datong Locomotive Coal
7.7.4 QuzhouYunhe Carbon
7.7.5 Hangzhou Hengxing Activated Carbon
7.7.6 Guizhou Qianmin Activated Carbon
8 Major Coal-based Activated Carbon Enterprises in China
8.1 Ningxia Huahui Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
8.1.3 Activated Carbon Business
8.2 Datong Municipal Yunguang Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
8.2.2 Activated Carbon Business
8.3 Shanxi Xinhua Chemical Co., Ltd.
8.3.2 Shanxi Xinhua Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
8.3.3 Ningxia Guanghua-Cherishmet Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
8.4 Inner Mongolia Taixi Coal Group Co., Ltd.
8.4.3 Activated Carbon Business
8.5 Datong Coal Jinding Activated Carbon Co., Ltd.
8.5.2 Activated Carbon Business
8.6.1 Shanxi Huaqing Activated Carbon Group Co., Ltd.
8.6.2 Huairen Huanyu Purification Materials Co., Ltd.
- Datong Coal Jinding Activated Carbon
- Shanxi Xinhua Chemical
- Ningxia Huahui Activated Carbon
- Inner Mongolia Taixi Coal Group
- Fujian Yuanli Active Carbon
- Fujian Xinsen Carbon
- Fujian Zhixing Activated Carbon