Structural and Stress Analysis, Fourth Edition, provides readers with a comprehensive introduction to all types of structural and stress analysis. Starting with an explanation of the basic principles of statics, the book then covers normal and shear force, bending moments, and torsion. Building on the success of prior editions, this update features new material on structural dynamics and fatigue, along with additional discussions of Eurocode compliance in the design of beams. With worked examples, practice problems, and extensive illustrations, it is an all-in-one resource for students and professionals interested in learning structural analysis.
- Presents a comprehensive overview of structural and stress analysis
- Includes numerous worked examples and end-of-chapter problems
- Extensively illustrated to help visualize concepts
- Contains a greater focus on digital trends in structural engineering, including newer computer analysis methods and how to check output of such methods to avoid 'black-box' engineering
- Contains additional worked examples on plastic analysis of frames, bending moment distribution and displacement evaluations on collapse mechanics
- Introduces content on statics to ensure that students know the basic concepts and can understand the equilibrium principles that govern all structures as well as the principles of the mechanisms involved in computer-based calculations.
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Introduction 2. Principles of Statics 3. Normal Force, Shear Force, Bending Moment and Torsion 4. Analysis of Pin-Jointed Trusses 5. Cables 6. Arches 7. Stress and Strain 8. Properties of Engineering Materials 9. Bending of Beams 10. Shear of Beams 11. Torsion of Beams 12. Composite Beams 13. Deflection of Beams 14. Complex Stress and Strain 15. Virtual Work and Energy Methods 16. Analysis of Statically Indeterminate Structures 17. Matrix Methods of Analysis 18. Plastic Analysis of Beams and Frames 19. Yield Line Analysis of Slabs 20. Influence Lines 21. Structural Instability
Appendix A. Table of Section Properties B. Bending of Beams: Standard Cases
T.H.G. Megson is a professor emeritus with the Department of Civil Engineering at Leeds University (UK). For Elsevier he has written the market leading Butterworth Heinemann textbooks Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students and Introduction to Aircraft Structural Analysis (a briefer derivative of the aircraft structures book), as well as the text/ref hybrid Structural and Stress Analysis.