In the world of ever-evolving digital landscapes, businesses are constantly seeking solutions to cater to mobile needs and protect against cyber threats. Here, the Content Delivery Network (CDN) Security Market plays a pivotal role. To help executives understand these intricate dynamics, our new market research report delves deeply into various aspects of the CDN security market.
Beyond improving web performance, CDN providers are optimizing their techniques to tackle dynamic content, mobile use, and video. These providers also offer security, formulating the primary line of defence against cyber threats. Our report investigates these trends, exploring strategies to defend against emergent vulnerabilities, the beneficial influence of 5G on CDN security services, and the escalating shift from traditional CDNs to cloud-based services. This comprehensive analysis is invaluable for any executive interested in staying ahead in the industry, and fostering robust, informed business strategies.
- DNS protection is in high demand for e-commerce websites and government agencies, among other industries, to defend against emerging security vulnerabilities. Early adoption of advanced technologies, and the growing domination of popular social media and OTT platforms, have led to significant demand for CDN security growth throughout the forecast period.
- 5G is expected to fuel the demand for CDN security services. The deployment of 5G infrastructure will result in greater bandwidth, triggering a more significant demand for high-quality video services. Moreover, according to the Visual Networking Index’s forecast of global Internet traffic, the proportion of smartphone users increased to 50% in the previous year from 23% early last year, with 79% of mobile traffic in video format.
- Another trend buoying this growth is the gradual shift from traditional CDNs to cloud-based CDNs. This use of cloud-based services is expected to drive the development of the CDN security market. Also, the growing penetration of connected things and enterprise mobility trends, coupled with the need to alleviate increasing cyber-attacks, such as DDoS, among enterprises, is anticipated to contribute to the growth of the CDN security market.
- A lack of adequate standards and processes may hamper the identification and control of video material. The increased use of video streaming services for movies and ads is to account for the rise in cyberattacks and viruses, forcing some significant organizations to establish their own CDN security to meet their needs.
- During COVID-19, the market was positively impacted. Several business operations shifted almost entirely to the web; people around the globe are now working, studying, shopping, and watching movies online. The increasing instances of DDoS and application layer security attacks drive the market growth after the pandemic.
Content Delivery Network Security Market Trends
Web Application Firewall (WAF) Type Segment Holds a Significant Market Share
- The web application firewall (WAF) market is driven by customers' needs to protect public and internal web applications. WAFs protect web applications and APIs against various attacks, including automated attacks (bots), injection attacks, and application-layer denial of service (DoS). According to SimilarWeb, Indeed.onelogin.com contributed more than 12.36 percent of Indeed.com's referral traffic in the earlier year. Jobs.take.indeedassessments.com was Indeed's second-largest referral traffic source, accounting for more than 9.91 percent of all referral traffic to the professional networking site. The increasing web traffic drives market growth.
- Protecting public-facing web applications against attacks and exploits of vulnerabilities in custom or third-party code is the primary cause for using cloud web application firewall (WAF) services.
- The WAF must inspect traffic and decide whether it should be blocked. Depending on the network placement and how costly the analysis operations they perform might be, this can become challenging to applications that depend on low latency responses to function or engage their users.
- Cloud-based WAF has been gaining popularity among organizations to protect their public-facing web applications. The main causes include - the traditional corporate website, B2C and B2B web applications, and a growing number of API-driven applications.
- Further, the market has witnessed large B2C applications facing a higher risk of automated attacks from bots. Some organizations opt to host websites powered by third-party CMS, such as Drupal or WordPress, which frequently include various flaws that expose them to data leakage through injection. The growth of such applications has augmented the demand for WAF.
North America is Expected to Register the Largest Market
- North America is anticipated to hold a significant market share in the CDN security market with a high internet penetration rate with a growing number of viewers for the online gaming and mobile video streaming segment. Additionally, the presence of the market giants and the early adoption of technologies across many end-user verticals are some of the prominent factors behind the region being the market front-runner.
- The majority of the share in the market is occupied by North America, mainly due to the presence of botnet command & control (C&C) servers. Also known as C2, attackers use them to maintain communications with compromised systems within a target network. These systems include computers, smartphones, and the IoT, which increase the adoption of bit mitigation services.
- Healthcare businesses operate in different ways but share a consistent focus on maximizing patient care. Increasingly, digital healthcare providers host health records online; clinicians capture data that demands secured content delivery solutions to determine the free flow of operations, especially during critical emergencies.
- Furthermore, prominent firms like Microsoft Corporation, located in Washington, DC, are more likely to fuel market expansion. This region has seen an increase in the use of 4K resolution monitors. Furthermore, the deployment of high-speed data networks and the fast use of cloud-based services are likely to increase the size of the CDN security market.
- Conversely, technical developments enabling smart city initiatives and the future deployments of 5G networks are critical drivers of the CDN security market expansion. Similarly, the rise in online gaming and digital marketing preferences due to increased internet penetration in the North American region is likely to open up new potential for industry players in the CDN security market.
- Furthermore, in April last year, Rackspace Technology, one of the leading end-to-end, multi-cloud technology solutions providers, announced enhancements to its strategic partnership with Akamai Technologies, trusted solutions for powering and protecting digital experiences, to provide consultative services to global businesses to help secure their applications and APIs. Rackspace and Akamai collaborated to assist business clients in protecting their cloud workloads by utilizing Akamai's Web Application and API Protector, which provides one-stop, zero-compromise security for websites, apps, and APIs.
Content Delivery Network Security Market Competitor AnalysisThe content delivery network (CDN) security market is highly fragmented, with the presence of major players like Akamai Technologies, Inc., Amazon Web Services, Inc., Cloudflare Inc., Imperva Inc., and Nexusguard Limited, among others. Players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships, mergers, investments, and acquisitions to enhance their product offerings and gain sustainable competitive advantage.
In November 2022, Devo Technology, cloud-native logging and security analytics startup, announced a multi-year strategic partnership with Amazon Web Services. This expanded partnership would enable Devo to swiftly develop in the emerging fields of applied AI/ML and security log analytics and create solutions matched with AWS security services, resulting in a better client experience.
In October 2022, Akamai Technologies, Inc., the cloud company that offers and protects life online, announced a significant evolution of its DDoS protection platform (Prolexic) with the global rollout of new, fully software-defined scrubbing centers, extending its dedicated defense capacity to 20 tbps and accelerating future product innovations. Following a wave of more sophisticated and record-breaking DDoS attacks throughout the globe, the change allows Akamai Prolexic to defend clients from multi-terabit attacks better and deliver greater performance and dependability for online companies of any size across the globe.
Additional benefits of purchasing the report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5.1.1 Increasing Instances of DDoS and Application Layer Security Attacks
5.1.2 Increasing Preference for Cloud-Based Services for Media and Entertainment
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Lack of Technical Cybersecurity Expertise
6.1.1 Small and Medium-scale Business
6.1.2 Large-scale Business
6.2 By Type
6.2.1 DDoS Protection
6.2.2 Web Application Firewall
6.2.3 Bot Mitigation & Screen Scraping Protection
6.2.4 Data Security
6.2.5 DNS Protection
6.3 By End-user Industry
6.3.1 Media & Entertainment
6.3.4 IT and Telecom
6.3.6 Other End-user Industries (Government, Education, Travel and Tourism, Manufacturing, and Utilities)
6.4.1 North America
6.4.4 Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East and Africa
7.1.1 Akamai Technologies, Inc.
7.1.2 Amazon Web Services, Inc.
7.1.3 Cloudflare Inc.
7.1.4 Imperva Inc.
7.1.5 Nexusguard Limited
7.1.6 Distil Networks Inc.
7.1.7 Verizon Digital Media Services Inc.
7.1.8 CDNetworks Inc.
7.1.9 Net Scout Arbor Inc.
7.1.10 Limelight Networks Inc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Akamai Technologies, Inc.
- Amazon Web Services, Inc.
- Cloudflare Inc.
- Imperva Inc.
- Nexusguard Limited
- Distil Networks Inc.
- Verizon Digital Media Services Inc.
- CDNetworks Inc.
- Net Scout Arbor Inc.
- Limelight Networks Inc.