The OTT video market in the MENA region is at the cusp of mass adoption owing to the ever-expanding internet connectivity and smartphone usage. The market is still evolving in terms of content offerings and business models as the region hosts a diverse demography. However, the volatile geopolitical situation has dampened socioeconomic progress in the last fiscal, making the overall economy and this industry sluggish. MENA is a highly attractive market for existing and new participants considering its population and diverse demography. The growth in Internet penetration, supplemented by the explosive adoption of smartphones, has augmented OTT video consumption in the region, with government initiatives further supporting a holistic digital transformation.
Challenges for this market include rampant piracy, influx of illegal platforms (linear and OTT) and non-uniform connectivity, among others. There is a rising trend of new indie content produced exclusively for this market, by way of mobilising local talent and budding artists and providing them a launch pad for future productions. A number of local niche platforms are catering to specific target audiences, like sports, English content, new-age Arabic series and dubbed Asian content. Some of the incumbent broadcasters and Pay TV operators offer a vast content library across genres to meet the needs of all audience groups. The launch of global and local services has piqued the interest of active Internet users, paving the way for growth in the subscription for these services in the next few years. Telecom bundling remains the most widely used platform for collecting subscription fees due to the slow uptake of online payments and wallets. Strategic bundling of services between ISPs, telcos and OTT platforms is the trending business model to encourage paid subscription for premium content.
Key Issues Addressed
- What is the growth opportunity for OTT video services in MENA?
- Who are the leading OTT video services operators in the market?
- What is the revenue and subscription growth opportunity for the OTT video services market?
- What are the major drivers and restraints for the market?
- What are the key markets and emerging markets in the region?
- What are the growth opportunities among broadcasters, distributors and content owners?
1. Executive Summary
- Trends to Watch
- Research Scope
- Market Classification
- Current and Future Outlook
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
2. Regional Overview
- Economic Scenario
- Key Economic Developments
- Population Demography
- Leading Ecosystem Participants
3. Mobile Connectivity in MENA
- Internet Scenario in MENA
- Mobile Internet Revolution
- Average Internet Speeds in MENA Markets
- Bandwidth Costs and Affordability
- Broadband Initiatives
4. OTT Video Market Ecosystem
- OTT Video Platforms - Market Competition Intensifies
- Telecom Operators - The Enablers and Promoters
- Telecom Partnerships - The Way Forward
- Payment Modes
- Revenue Models
- Sports Dominance
- Content Patterns
- KSA - Recent Reforms
- B2B2C Strategy
- Rise of Initiatives
5. Recent Developments in Leading Platforms
- Global Companies
- Local Platforms
- Istikana - Case Study
6. Drivers and Restraints
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
7. Market Forecasts
- Forecast Methodology
- OTT Video Services Market - Revenue Forecast
- OTT Video Services Market - Viewer Forecast
- OTT Video Services Market - Subscription Forecast
- OTT Video Services Market - Subscription Revenue Forecast
8. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Regional/Vernacular Content
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Content Protection Solutions
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Strategic Bundling
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
9. The Last Word
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits