Affected by the “subsidy fraud” scandals and the shrinking subsidies for battery electric and hybrid buses, new energy bus sales have fallen in China. In 2017, China produced a total of 105,214 new energy buses, a slump of 22.2% from 2016; and with the help of the national and local policies, electric passenger car market shot up. Overall, new energy vehicle (NEV) market sustained strong growth. As a standard configuration of a vehicle, air-conditioning system also showed robust growth with China’s NEV output increase. The country demanded 755,000 units of electric air-conditioners in 2017 as per one air-conditioner for a vehicle, soaring by 44.9% from a year earlier.
China’s electric vehicle (EV) output and sales will expectedly encounter a slowdown in growth but still maintain a high pace over the next several years, creating an estimated demand of 1.487 million air-conditioners in 2023, with a CAGR of 12.0% between 2017 and 2023.
In terms of competition, the market of air-conditioners for medium and large-sized buses is highly concentrated, with major players including Songz Automobile Air Conditioning and Zhengzhou Kelin Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning. Songz serves automakers like BYD, Nanjing Golden Dragon Bus, Ankai Bus, and Zhongtong Bus, holding the largest share in the field, while Kelin mainly provides EV air-conditioners for its parent company Yutong Bus.
The market of air-conditioners for electric passenger cars features low concentration with key market participants including Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology, Denso (Toyota Industries), Sanden Huayu Automotive Air-Conditioning, Xiezhong International, Valeo, and Hanon Systems. Foreign-funded companies are still technologically superior. As the first one launching electric air-conditioners in the world, Denso has seen its products applied to EVs and HEVs made by Toyota and other automakers, with Toyota Industries as its major compressor supplier. Sanden Huayu Automotive Air-Conditioning adopts “battery, motor, and electronic control” technology for electric compressors which have already been used in auto models like BAIC E150 EV, SAIC Roewe and Riich M1-EV. Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology provides mainly scroll compressors and is working toward electric heat pump (EHP) air-conditioning compressor; moreover, the company’s acquisition of Air International and Mudanjiang Foton Automotive Air Conditioner in recent two years not only enriches its product line but strengthens technical competence.
By sales model, passenger car air-conditioners are mostly sold to automakers as standard configuration, with the market characterized by fierce competition, relative scattering, and lower profits; by contrast, bus air-conditioners are directly supplied to public transport and automobile transportation companies, with stronger customer stickiness and gross margin of up to 40%.
China Electric Vehicle (EV) Air-conditioner Industry Report, 2018-2023 highlights the following:
- China’s EV air-conditioner industry (definition, classification, policies, etc.);
- China’s EV industry (output & sales, competitive landscape, etc. of various types of EVs);
- China’s EV air-conditioner industry (market size, demand, supply model, etc.);
- Chinese EV air-conditioner market segments (passenger car, bus, and special vehicle markets) (electric air-conditioner demand, market size, competitive landscape, supply relationship, and industry forecast);
- 8 manufacturers of air-conditioners for electric passenger cars (Sanden, Toyota Industries, Hanon Systems, Valeo, HUAYU Automotive Systems, Xiezhong International, Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology, Hefei Carnot Automotive Air Conditioning) and 6 manufacturers of air-conditioners for electric buses (Songz Automobile Air Conditioning, Zhengzhou Kelin Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning, Guangzhou Jingyi Automobile Air Conditioner, Hunan Vaqoung Electric, Hubei Meibiao Automobile Air Conditioner Systems and Taichang Bus Air Conditioner) (profile, financials, main products, R&D, production bases, technical features, etc.)
*The Chinese Version of this Report is Available on Request.
1. Overview of Automobile Electric Air-conditioner
1.3 Industry Supervision
1.4 Industry Policy
2. EV Industry
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Size
2.3 EV Market Segments
2.3.1 Electric Passenger Car
2.3.2 Special Electric Vehicle
2.3.3 Electric Bus
2.4 Investments in New Energy Vehicle (NEV) Projects
3. EV Air-conditioner Market
3.1 Total Demand
3.2 Market Size
3.3 Sales Model
4. Market Segments
4.1 Electric Bus Air-conditioner
4.1.2 Market Size
4.1.3 Competitive Pattern and Supply Relationship
4.2 Passenger Vehicle / Special Vehicle Electric Air-conditioner
4.2.2 Market Size
4.2.3 Market Structure
4.2.4 Competitive Pattern and Supply Relationship
5. Electric Passenger Vehicle Air-conditioner Companies
5.1 Sanden Holdings Corporation
5.1.3 Income Analysis
5.1.4 Main Compressors
5.1.5 Compressor Sales
5.1.6 Business in China
5.2 Toyota Industries Corporation (Denso)
5.2.3 Income Analysis
5.2.4 Main Compressors
5.2.6 Capacity Distribution
5.2.7 TD Automotive Compressor Kunshan Co., Ltd. (TACK)
5.2.8 Yantai Shougang TD Automotive Compressor Co., Ltd. (YST)
5.3 Hanon Systems (HVCC)
5.3.3 Income Analysis
5.3.4 Capacity and Output
5.3.5 EV Thermal Management System
5.3.6 Hanon Systems’ Main Organizations in China
5.3.7 Halla Visteon Climate Control (Dalian) Co., Ltd.
5.3.8 Latest Developments
5.4.3 Income Analysis
5.4.4 Order Analysis
5.4.5 Thermal Solution for EV
5.4.6 Valeo Compressor (Changchun) Co., Ltd.
5.4.7 Huada Automotive Air Conditioner (Hunan) Co., Ltd.
5.5 Sanden Huayu Automotive Air-Conditioning Co., Ltd.
5.5.3 Electric Air-conditioner Business
5.5.4 Operation of Major Subsidiaries
5.5.5 Sales Network
5.5.6 Latest Developments
5.6 Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
5.6.3 Revenue Structure
5.6.4 Production and Sales
5.6.5 Motor Compressors
5.7 Xiezhong International Holdings Limited
5.7.3 Revenue Structure
5.7.4 Electric Air-conditioner Business
5.7.5 Xiezhong International Stopped Selling All Equities of Beijing Hainanchuan Xiezhong Automobile Air-conditioning Co., Ltd. (Xiezhong Beijing)
5.8 Hefei Carnot Automotive Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.
5.8.3 Electric Air-conditioner Business
5.9 Shanghai Highly New Energy Technologies Co., Ltd.
5.9.3 EV Air-conditioner Business
6. Electric Bus Air-conditioner Companies
6.1 Songz Automobile Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.
6.1.3 Revenue Structure
6.1.4 Gross Margin
6.1.5 Electric Air-conditioner Business
6.1.6 Acquisition of Suzhou New Tongchuang Auto Air-Conditioning Co., Ltd.
6.2 Zhengzhou Kelin Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.,
6.2.3 Electric Air-conditioner Business
6.3 Guangzhou Jingyi Automobile Air Conditioning Co., Ltd. (JYAC)
6.3.2 Main Products
6.3.3 Production Capacity
6.4 Taichang Bus Air Conditioner Co., Ltd.
6.4.2 Main Products
6.5 Hunan Vaqoung Electric Co., Ltd.
6.5.2 Main Products
6.5.3 Production Base and Sales Network
6.5.4 Acquisition of 20% Equities of the Subsidiary
6.6 Hubei Meibiao Automobile Air Conditioner Systems Co., Ltd.
6.6.3 Automotive Air-conditioner Business
- Sanden Holdings Corporation
- Toyota Industries Corporation (Denso)
- TD Automotive Compressor Kunshan Co., Ltd. (TACK)
- Yantai Shougang TD Automotive Compressor Co., Ltd. (YST)
- Hanon Systems (HVCC)
- Halla Visteon Climate Control (Dalian) Co., Ltd.
- Valeo Compressor (Changchun) Co., Ltd.
- Huada Automotive Air Conditioner (Hunan) Co., Ltd.
- Sanden Huayu Automotive Air-Conditioning Co., Ltd.
- Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
- Xiezhong International Holdings Limited
- Hefei Carnot Automotive Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Highly New Energy Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Songz Automobile Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.
- Zhengzhou Kelin Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.,
- Guangzhou Jingyi Automobile Air Conditioning Co., Ltd. (JYAC)
- Taichang Bus Air Conditioner Co., Ltd.
- Hunan Vaqoung Electric Co., Ltd.
- Hubei Meibiao Automobile Air Conditioner Systems Co., Ltd.