This study examines the $1 billion market for personal or life coaching services. This is a market with few barriers to entry and multiple organizations providing “certification”, for a fee. The number of coaches in the U.S. is growing, as consumers seek advice and motivation regarding career changes, life-work balance, dealing with changing technology, finance, relationships, health, and more.
The report discusses: The nature and definition of the coaching business, its limitations and scope, image and credibility issues, why many coaches fail, market size (2006-2022 forecast), sensitivity to recessions, demand factors, results of the latest ICF industry studies (no. of coaches, coaches’ yearly earnings, fees charged, no. of clients, client profile, operating ratios, consumer awareness of coaches), list of major certifying bodies and trade journals, 10 best cities for personal coaches, and a comparison of U.S. vs. global coaching market. Also covers: major market issues and trends, Millennials’ use of coaching services, plus Profiles of 21 top coaches (with revenues when available).
The report also includes an overview of the total personal development market, with opinions by leading market experts and competitors, trends, market segments and their $ values from 2003-2018 F (self-improvement books, audiobooks, motivational speakers, seminars, holistic institutes, online courses, training organizations, and weight loss programs).
1. Introduction: Study scope & methodology, sources used
2. The Personal Coaching Market
Summary & Nature of The Industry
- Definition & summary of the market, number of active coaches in U.S., worldwide,
- coaching specialties, differences between coaching and consulting, corporate vs. personal coaching, most common myths about coaching, phone coaching
- Age mix of coaches, typical earnings
- Problems and limitations of coaches
- Future trends predictions to 2022
- Status report of the market, topics in demand, corporate vs. consumer customers
- Publisher interview with ICF President: discussion of accreditation, industry outlook, major issues
- ICF Consumer Awareness Survey findings
3. Millennials and Coaching – Demographics
- Number of Millennials compared to Baby Boomers
- Job prospects
- Millennials and personal coaching
- Table: How much they spend on personal improvement
- Table: services used for career advice
4. Industry Size
- Market $ size and projected growth, 2006-2023 Forecast –ICF/PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Global Outlook survey findings, Marketdata estimates
- Discussion of outlook and forecasts, rationale, factors affecting demand.
5. Industry Operating Metrics
- Results of 2016 ICF consumer awareness studies, why people use coaches, why they don’t, their objectives, by sex, age
- Number of coaches: U.S. global: 2011, 2015
- $ size of U.S. and global coaching markets: 2011, 2015
- Outlook for next year (2016)
- Key industry issues, ranked
- Coaches profile (avg. age, gender, education, experience, etc.)
- Client profile (age, gender, length of coaching engagement, etc.)
- Average annual earnings, fees, no. of clients, outlook
- Consumer Awareness Studies – 2014 & 2012 survey findings, why clients use/don’t use coaches
6. Top City Markets for Coaching
7. Top Coach Profiles (bio, background, specialties, income when avail., programs)
Bernie Siegel Tony Robbins T. Harv Eker Jane Hyun
Colleen Bracken Brendon Burchard Bob Proctor Mark Nation
Diane Brennan Jack Canfield John Mattone Kevin Cashman
Pat Mathews Brian Tracy Christy Whitman
Pat Boney Lewis Howes David Allen
Kay Cannon Ken Blanchard Patricia Fripp
8. Overview of the Total Personal Development Industry
- Highlights of ALL chapters--Discussion of market nature & definition, characteristics,
- major developments of past 2 years, avg. customer profile, why demand exists for programs.
- Findings/transcripts of interviews with market movers & shakers at: selfgrowth.com (David
- Riklan, Steve Salerno (author of “Sham”, others), technology trends, marketing methods.
- Changing of the guard: older gurus retiring and dying, who will replace them?
- The explosion of SI content via Internet entrepreneurs – discussion
- Negative publicity still exists: indictment of Kevin Trudeau, company closures and criticisms
- Market Size & Growth, Segments: Table & Discussion of total market size, growth, outlook (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015-2016, 2022 forecasts), estd. $ size of major segments
By Distribution Channel:
- Infomercials, mail order catalogs, motivational speaker seminars, holistic institutes, self-improvement books & audiobooks, personal coaching
- Market Segment Outlooks: discussion of mkt. size/growth/characteristics/trends for:
- 1. Infomercials (retail sales by topic, qtrly. media billings), 2. Motivational speakers mkt., 3. Personal coaching market, 4. Holistic institutes & training organizations mkt., 5. self-improvement books mkt. 6. Audiobooks mkt., 7. Public seminars, 8. Websites & Internet mastery courses, 9. Weight programs loss mkt.
- Status report of the U.S. Weight Loss Industry ($ size 2002-2016, by 10 mkt. segments, trends, dieter demographics/number, mkt. nature, major mkt. trends/developments, etc.)
9. Reference Directory of Information Sources
- (Names, addresses, phone, key contacts at relevant trade groups, journals, periodicals in the field)