- Focus on research and evidence-base practice provide proven findings and practical applications for topics of interest in modern dental hygiene care.
- Step-by-step procedure boxes with accompanying illustrations, clinical photos, and rationales outline the equipment required and the steps involved in performing key procedures.
- Critical thinking exercises, cases, and scenarios help hone your application and problem-solving skills.
- Feature boxes highlight patient education, law, ethics, and safety.
- UNIQUE! Discussions of theory provide a solid foundation for practice.
- Key terms are called out within chapters and defined in glossary with cross-references to chapters.
- Practice quizzes enable you to self-assess your understanding.
- NEW! Streamlined approach focuses on the information you need to know along with the practical applications.
- NEW! Added content covers alternative practice settings, new infection control guidelines, pediatric care, risk assessment, dental hygiene diagnosis, the electronic health record (EHR), and more.
- NEW! Modern illustrations and updated clinical photos give you a better picture of how to perform essential skills and utilize clinical technology.
- NEW! Online procedures videos guide you step-by-step through core clinical skills.
- NEW! Editorial team brings a fresh perspective and more than 30 years of experience in dental hygiene education, practice, and research.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Conceptual Foundations 1. The Dental Hygiene Profession 2. Dental Hygiene Metaparadigm Concepts and Conceptual Models 3. Evidenced-Based Decision Making 4. Community Health 5. Sustainable Health Behavior Change 6. Cultural Competency in Healthcare 7. Legal and Ethical Decision Making 8. The Professional E-Portfolio
Part 2: Preparation for the Appointment 9. Dental Hygiene Patient Care Setting 10. Infection Prevention and Control 11. Preventing and Managing Medical Emergencies 12. Ergonomics and Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders
Part 3: Assessments 13. Personal, Dental, and Medical Histories 14. Vital Signs 15. Pharmacologic History 16. Extraoral and Intraoral Clinical Assessment 17. Hard Tissue Assessment and Dental Charting 18. Assessment of Dental Deposits and Stain 19. Dental Caries Management by Risk Assessment 20. Periodontal Assessment and Charting 21. Oral-Systemic Health Connection
Part 4: Critical Thinking in Dental Hygiene Practice 22. Dental Hygiene Diagnosis 23. Dental Hygiene Care Plan, Evaluation, and Documentation
Part 5: Implementation, Evaluation, and Documentation 24. Toothbrushing 25. Mechanical Oral Biofilm Control: Interdental and Supplemental Self-Care Devices Competencies 26. Dentifrices 27. Antimicrobials for Control of Periodontal Disease 28. Hand-Activated Instrumentation 29. Ultrasonic Instrumentation 30. Root Morphology and Instrumentation Implications 31. Dental Implants and Peri-Implant Care 32. Tooth Polishing and Whitening 33. Decision Making Related to Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy 34. Acute Gingival and Periodontal Condition 35. Pit and Fissure Sealants 36. Nutritional Counseling 37. Tobacco Cessation 38. Impressions for Study Casts and Mouth Guards 39. Restorative Therapy 40. Orthodontic Care 41. Fixed and Removable Dental Prostheses
Part 6: Pain and Anxiety Control 42. Dental Hypersensitivity 43. Local Anesthesia 44. Nitrous Oxide-Oxygen Analgesia
Part 7: Life Stages and Populations 45. Children and Adolescents 46. Pregnancy and Oral Health 47. The Older Adult
Part 8: Dental Hygiene Care for the Medically Compromised 48. Cardiovascular Disease 49. Diabetes 50. Cancer 51. HIV and Oral Health 52. Palliative Care 53. Autoimmune Diseases 54. Organ Transplantation and Renal Disease 55. Respiratory Diseases 56. Alcohol and Substance Misuse 57. Eating Disorders 58. Child Neglect and Abuse and Family Violence
Part 9: Dental Hygiene Care for Disabilities and Special Needs 59. Disability and Healthcare 60. Intellectually and Developmentally Challenged 61. Orofacial Clefts 62. Neurological Disabilities
Part 10: Professional Development and Practice Management 63. Professional Development and Job Searching 64. Practice Management