The focus of this study is to identify and highlight African start-ups that drive the uptake of smart farming practices and how farmers can make data-driven decisions regarding crop rotation, planting and harvesting time, soil management, and weather prediction. The study offers an analysis of Sub-Saharan Africa, with additional information on the Middle East and North Africa. The forecasting includes both regions.
The technology scope covers the following categories: mobile applications, sensors, robots, satellite imaging, and drones, and the start-up categories are as follows: digital data aggregation and dissemination, finance and insurance, logistics and equipment sharing platforms, integrated platforms, and precision agriculture.
This research service provides in-depth information about the emerging technology convergence, which is leading to the development of smart farming. Key start-ups across the agriculture value chain require automated processes and systems to sustainably increase output and influence economic growth.
The study groups start-ups in categories that influence technology convergence in the farming sector, including autonomous systems, data management and analytics, robots, wireless communication, and regulations, while highlighting the technologies that will play a significant role in improving agricultural processes by increasing control over resources and enhancing productivity, globally and regionally.
In terms of Africa’s digital agriculture journey, mobile connectivity and applications help farmers access market-related information, digital financial services, and innovative services, including tractor sharing. Further, the combination of ICT solutions, such as precision equipment, the Internet of Things (IoT), sensors, geo-positioning systems, data analytics, and drones, is changing the way in which traditional farming is conducted in Africa.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the main components in the agriculture value chain and who are the key stakeholders?
- How are the key digital indicators shaping the African smart farming market?
- Which key start-ups drive the development and the adoption of smart farming?
- What are the development and competitive trends? What is the growth potential and product category penetration in Africa and the Middle East?
- How are emerging African start-ups advancing in the market?
- What are the key trends shaping the market?
- What opportunities can smart farming companies capitalise on to grow their businesses and remain competitive?
1. Executive Summary
2. Smart Farming - Research Perspective
Agriculture Value Chain
Key Questions this Study will Answer
3. Smart Farming - Current and Emerging Trends
Digital Trends Shaping the Global Agriculture Sector
Africa’s Digital Agriculture Journey - Current Trends
Africa’s Digital Agriculture Journey - Emerging Trends
Current Trend - Mobile Applications
Emerging Trends - Cloud Platforms, IoT, and Data Analytics
4. Industry Landscape - Leading Smart Agriculture Applications
Current Trends - Digital Data Aggregation and Dissemination
Digital Data Aggregation and Dissemination - Applications
Current Trends - Finance and Insurance
Finance and Insurance - Applications
Current Trends - Logistics and Equipment Sharing Platforms
Logistics and Equipment Sharing Platforms - Applications
Current Trends - Integrated Platforms
Integrated Platforms - Applications
Emerging Trends - Precision Agriculture
Precision Agriculture - Applications
Precision Agriculture - IoT Network Applications
5. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
Growth Opportunity 1 - Increased Crop Output
Growth Opportunity 2 - Digital Insurance and Financial Services
Growth Opportunity 3 - Digital Agriculture Practice
Strategic Imperatives for Smart Agriculture
6. The Last Word
The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
List of Exhibits