The automotive sunroof market was valued at USD 6 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 10 billion in 2026, registering a CAGR of above 9% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
The COVID-19 pandemic has hindered the growth of the automotive sunroof market due to its impact on vehicle production, as there was continuous shut down of manufacturing facilities and disruption of the supply chain across various parts of the world.
Increasing passenger vehicle sales in conjunction with rising per capita income and consumer spending toward effective ventilation and brighter vehicle interiors to enhance the overall driving experience will positively influence the industry demand. Moreover, technological advancements in sunroof materials drive automotive sunroof demand. Thereby, ongoing design upgrades and material advancements to reduce weight and provide stability are boosting the industry's growth.
Europe dominates the sunroof market throughout the forecasted period, followed by North America and Asia-Pacific. The demand for sunroof systems as after-sale customization witnessed a spike in popularity, especially among the younger population in Asian countries. These factors greatly influenced the rebound of sunroof systems and are anticipated to propel the market globally.
Key Market Trends
Increased Adoption of Sunroofs in Sports Utility Vehicles
Sport utility vehicles constitute one of the most popular automotive segments due to a wide range of vehicles of unmatched versatility in range, power output, and features. It is anticipated to witness an increased adoption, particularly in developing countries such as China and India, as consumer demand in these regions is growing at a faster pace. Thus, these factors have compelled manufacturers such as Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Kia, among others, to further provide equipped features for enhanced customer satisfaction, as they were initially restricted to premium cars. For instance,
- In August 2019, Kia introduced Seltos with a sunroof to enhance the passenger experience. The vehicle not only provides a natural condition but also enhances the vehicle’s aesthetics.
Moreover, Audi Q3, Audi Q7, Acura RDX, and BMW X3, X5, X6 are some of the popular and new SUV models fitted with panoramic sunroofs, which are expected to dominate the SUV market and drive the growth rate of the automotive sunroof in SUVs. For instance,
- In February 2021, BMW X3 xDrive30i Sport X launched in India at INR 56.5 lakh. The new car is locally produced at BMW Group Plant Chennai, and the company has announced that the 'Sport X' petrol variant of the BMW X3 is also made available.
Asia-Pacific to Drive the Sunroof Market
The Asia-Pacific region accounts for the largest share of the global automotive sunroof market due to the presence of major automotive manufacturers, such as Hyundai-Kia, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Tata Motors Limited, Lexus, and Toyota. Growing car customization trends and a higher younger population demanding aftermarket sunroof installations are some of the major factors driving the market for sunroofs in these countries.
Moreover, governments across Asia-Pacific are taking initiatives for the development of the automotive sector, in turn, boosting associated market development. Further government initiatives to increase the adoption of electric vehicles and the rise in mass segment cars offering sunroofs as an optional feature are responsible for the stimulating demand for in-vehicle sunroofs. For instance,
- Under the Union Budget 2019-2020, the Government of India announced its plans to set up R&D centers at an expenditure of USD 388.5 million to enable the automotive sector to meet global standards.
Such government initiatives in different countries are likely to boost manufacturers in the market to boost their production during the forecast period.
The automotive sunroof market is consolidated with the presence of major players, such as Webasto Group, Inalfa Roof Systems Group BV, and Inteva Products LLC, dominating the market. Due to the high profitability of the market, these major players focus on the acquisition of small regional players for a higher penetration into the regional markets.
- In May 2019, Inteva Products announced that it completed the sale of its roof systems product line to CIE Automotive. The transaction entailed an investment of USD 755 million (approximately EUR 650 million) by CIE Automotive.
- In September 2019, Webasto introduced its Roof Sensor Module, a roof system with integrated sensors and related thermo and cleaning systems, at IAA, Europe's leading mobility trade fair. The company announced that it had implemented transparent and openable roof systems with integrated sensors and high rigidity.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This report will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Material Type
5.1.3 Other Material Types
5.2.1 Built-In Sunroof System
5.2.2 Tilt ‘N Slide Sunroof System
5.2.3 Panoramic Sunroof System
5.3 Vehicle Type
5.3.3 Sports Utility Vehicle
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South America
126.96.36.199 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Webasto Group
6.2.2 CIE Automotive
6.2.3 Inteva Products LLC
6.2.4 Inalfa Roof Systems Group BV
6.2.5 Yachiyo Industry Co. Ltd
6.2.6 Johnan America Inc.
6.2.7 Signature Automotive Products
6.2.8 Magna International Inc.
6.2.9 Mitsuba Corporation
6.2.10 AISIN SEIKI Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS**
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Webasto Group
- CIE Automotive
- Inteva Products LLC
- Inalfa Roof Systems Group BV
- Yachiyo Industry Co. Ltd
- Johnan America Inc.
- Signature Automotive Products
- Magna International Inc.
- Mitsuba Corporation
- AISIN SEIKI Co. Ltd