The shift in consumer preference towards healthy diet comprising of omega-3 ingredients and the use of fish oil in South East Asia is expected to boost the sales of omega-3 in the Asia-Pacific region.
Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Dynamics
Asia-Pacific is the largest region for infant formula products, due to a large infant population. The importance of omega-3 in infant nutrition in Asia-Pacific region stands unparalleled; and as a result, there is a gigantic demand for omega-3 products. This increasing demand for infant nutrition is driving the omega-3 market in Asia-Pacific supported by the health attributes omega-3 delivers for pre- and post-natal. Omega-3 fortified products is expected to record a higher demand in this region, as consumers are willing to pay extra for high quality products for their children.
China and India are the world’s largest consumer of infant formula products, due to high birth rate. China accounted for about one-third of the infant formula market in 2015, whereas infant formula is also the largest segment of baby food in India, where annual average of child birth is over 25 million children. Due to the increasing demand for high nutritional food for infants in the developing economies of Asia such as China and India, it is expected to further increase the consumption for omega-3 products in the region. One of the major restraints to the growth of omega-3 market in the Asia-Pacific is the high price of products.
Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Segmentation
On the basis of product type, omega-3 products market in Asia-Pacific has been segmented on the basis of functional food, dietary supplements, infant nutrition, pet food and feed, pharmaceutical, and clinical nutrition. Consumer awareness of health benefits offered by omega-3-fatty acid has increased drastically in recent years. Several product categories including gummies, powders, omega 3 fortified beverages, food and dairy based products have emerged with omega-3 fortification particularly in Asian region.
With the growing popularity of omega 3 fortified beverages and foods coupled with the emerging trend of personalized nutrition management, self-testing to measure nutrient levels is being researched upon and efforts are being made to successfully introduce it to the Asian-Pacific consumers market.
The face of grocery retails is transforming all across with supply chain getting extremely organized specially in developing and emerging regions like Asia-Pacific. In emerging markets across the Asia such as India and China, grocery retails are all set to flourish by simply bringing modern supply chain management and merchandising, as well as large financial resources. With the growing awareness amid consumers regarding the health benefits of omega-3 products, which is one of the major reasons for the increasing sales of product category through this retail channel in Asia.
Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Regional Analysis
China, Japan, India and Australia are some of the key leading countries, consuming and manufacturing omega-3 products in the Asia-Pacific region. The Indian market for omega-3 products is an emerging industry. The dietary supplements sector has the highest consumer base in terms of volume and value in the omega-3 market, followed by food & beverage fortification sector. omega-3 sourced from fish oil dominates the dietary supplements sector, while algal DHA oil leads in the fortified food & beverage industry. Cooking oil, eggs and health drinks are some popular fortified omega-3 products in the Indian market.
Australian consumers are aware of the potential benefits of omega-3; however, they have reservations about the ability of EPA enriched foods. They are mostly concerned about clear labelling of such foods, and whether the food contains the actual quantity of EPA/DHA mentioned in the label. Australian regulators have recently approved a new omega-3 producing GM Canola variety for food and animal feed applications, developed by Australian agrichemical firm Nufarm’s subsidiary, Nuseed.
Key Developments in the Market
- June 2017, Blackmores entered into an agreement to acquire 100% of Catalent’s tablet and soft-gel capsule manufacturing facility in Braeside, Victoria for USD 43.2 million. This acquisition will support future growth and product innovation with strong research and development capabilities and will provide greater control over production, strengthening Blackmores’ quality credentials.
Some of the leading manufactures in Asia-Pacific for omega-3 products are: Unilever, Amway, and Nestle. Asian population is increasing their preference for omega-3 products, which is enabling both global and regional omega-3 manufactures to expand their product portfolios and innovate their existing product lines, so as to serve the increasing health needs among the Asian-Pacific consumers.
Major Players: Nestle, Unilever, Amway, Sanofi, Herbalife Limited, Abbott, Blackmores Limited, NOW Foods, Healthviva, and Nutrinelife among others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Analysis of the future outlook of the market with recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis.
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come.
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative and quantitative research, incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects.
- Regional- and country-level analysis, integrating the demand and supply forces that influence the growth of the market.
- Competitive landscape, involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years.
- Comprehensive company profiles, covering product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months of analyst support, along with the market estimates sheet (in Excel).
- Value chain analysis
- Consumer behavior analysis in country level
- This report may be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service Team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Research Phases
1.4 Scope of the Market
2. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Insights
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Trends
2.3 Industry Attractiveness-Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
2.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
2.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
2.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
2.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
2.3.5 Degree of Competition
3. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Dynamics
4. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type
4.1.1 Functional Food
4.1.2 Dietary Supplements
4.1.3 Infant Nutrition
4.1.4 Pet Food and Feed
4.1.6 Clinical Nutrition
4.2 By Distribution Channel
4.2.1 Grocery Retailers
4.2.3 Health Stores
4.2.4 Internet Retailing
5. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Regional Segmentation and Analysis (Market Size in USD million, 2015-2023)
5.1 China Omega-3 Products Market Size (2018 - 2023)
5.2 Japan Omega-3 Products Market Size (2018 - 2023)
5.3 India Omega-3 Products Market Size (2018 - 2023)
5.4 Australia Omega-3 Products Market Size (2018 - 2023)
5.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Market Size (2018 - 2023)
6. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Asia-Pacific Omega-3 Products Company Profiles
7.6 Herbalife Limited
7.7 Blackmores Limited
7.8 NOW Foods
*The list is not exhaustive