Increasing cost of production and end-user consolidation restrict growth in this near-mature market. Set-top box vendors are focused on supporting devices that enable seamless rendering of high-quality video on a powerful user interface. The global set-top box market crossed 249.4 million in unit shipment in 2018 and is expected to grow to 297.3 million units, recording a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.6% (2018–2023). Vendors are deploying open OS STB devices to stay relevant. On-going analog switch-off in several emerging economies, refresh cycles in North America and some parts of Europe, and upgrades to advanced functionality with a richer user interface for quick search and discovery of content are some factors that are driving the growth of the global set-top boxes market. The growth opportunity stems from greenfield opportunities in emerging markets, acquisition of key market competitors, and addition of features to STBs, such as HD functionality, security, and gateway abilities.
This market insight covers the following:
- Detailed global market trend analyses - including market drivers, market restraints, technology trends, regional analysis, and competitive analysis
- Detailed unit shipment and revenue forecasts for the total set-top box device market
- A competitive landscape, in terms of major participants and market share analysis
- A competitive analysis, concerning major participants and market share analysis for ARRIS, Technicolor, Huawei, Skyworth Digital, and Samsung
- The base year of the study is 2018, with forecasts running up to 2023. The research highlights key trends impacting the global set-top box market and outlines future implications. These trends include over-the-top (OTT) streaming and app-based multi-screen experiences capturing mindshare from traditional TV, smart TVs potentially threatening the future of set-top boxes, and 4K ultra-high definition (HD) set-top boxes gaining strong momentum in the set-top box market.
The global market has been segmented into North America, Latin America (NALA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
Key Issues Addressed
- Is the market growing? If so, how long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
- What are the regional trends in the set-top box market, and what do they mean for the global growth strategies of vendors?
- Are the products/services offered today meeting customer needs, or is additional development needed?
- What are the critical success factors? Who is further along the curve in addressing these issues?
- What are the major drivers and restraints in the set-top box market?
- What do vendors need to know to stay ahead of the curve?
- What are the key trends and how will they impact the set-top box market?
Readers who can benefit from the content found in this research include set-top box vendors in the cable, satellite, OTT and DTT segments; smart TV vendors; and complementary vendors such as middleware vendors, device vendors, and anyone looking to venture into the set-top box market.
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
2. Market Overview
- Market Definitions and Scope
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
- Regions Covered
- Global Market Life Cycle Analysis
- Market Life Cycle Discussion
3. Drivers and Restraints - Total STB Market
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
4. Forecast and Trends - Total STB Market
- Forecast Assumptions
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Unit Shipment Forecast
- Revenue Forecast
- Unit Shipment and Revenue Forecast Discussion
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Application Segment
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Application Segment
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Application Segment Discussion
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region Discussion
- Percent Revenue Forecast by Region
- Revenue Forecast by Region
- Revenue Forecast by Region Discussion
- Average Selling Price Discussion
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis - Total STB Market
- Market Share by Unit Shipment
- Market Share Discussion
- Competitive Structure and Tiers of Competition
- Competitive Environment
- Key Competitive Factors
6. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - DTT Segment
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Updating Features
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Acquisition
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. Mega Trends
- Impact of Mega Trends
- Mega Trends Explained
8. Conclusion and the Last Word
- The Last Word - Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Others
- List of Exhibits