Tablets are a category of mobile devices that provide advanced capabilities on a larger (6"+) screen but do not have traditionally integrated phone functionality. Tablets run complete operating system software that provides a standardized interface and platform for application developers. Global tablet device unit shipment reached 170.7 million in 2018, a slight decline of 0.8% since 2017. The global demand for tablet devices is predicted to see a slight increase in 2019 when a combination of trends and opportunities will cause a unit shipment turnaround from 2019 to 2023.
More tablet devices are being used in enterprise segments, such as education, healthcare, and retail, as they have a form factor that is bigger than smartphones but more compact than laptops. New designs, better graphics, useful accessories, and larger displays will help this market break loose from its rut.
Unit shipment is likely to reach 184.6 million at a positive CAGR of 1.6% between 2018 and 2023. Apple, Samsung, Amazon, Lenovo, and Huawei account for approximately 65% of units shipped. Currently and throughout the forecast period, APAC will be the top region, in terms of shipments and manufacturing bases, as NALA and EMEA remain relatively flat with slight increases later on in the forecast period. India and China will be the biggest benefactors in the tablet shipment growth. Among the global markets, India and Vietnam remain of high interest to tablet manufacturers.
Tablet manufacturing is shifting to emerging markets where government incentives, low cost of manufacturing and local demand offer a respite from mature tablet markets. This helps companies compete on price, which is critical, considering the pressure on margins. To combat market slowdown, the publisher recommends vendors innovate and invest in growth opportunities, such as tablet devices, for accessibility, continuing and/or furthering education in prison rehabilitation initiatives, and expanding tablets as replacements for traditional and outdated POS and kiosk systems around the world.
This study examines the evolving global tablet market with unit shipment forecasts from 2017 to 2023. The report also reveals the top vendors within the market with further discussion about the market space. Furthermore, it assesses the drivers, restraints, and growth opportunities in the tablet market, along with key growth opportunities within the market, the market share held and discusses top vendors, and three big predictions for the future of the global tablet devices market.
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
- Research Scope
- Market Overview-Regions Covered
- Global Market Life Cycle Analysis
- Key Questions this Insight will Answer
3. Drivers and Restraints-Total Tablet Devices Market
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
4. Forecast and Trends-Total Tablet Devices Market
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Unit Shipment Forecast
- Unit Shipment Discussion
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Discussion by Region
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis-Total Tablet Devices Market
- Market Share by Unit Shipments
- Market Share Discussion
- Competitive Structure and Tiers of Competition
- Competitive Environment
- Directory of Selected Other Vendors - Tablet Devices
6. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Accessibility and Assistive Technology
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Tech Education for Rehabilitation
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Replacing Point-of-Sales (POS) Systems
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. The Last Word
- 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits