Plastic is a synthetic material that is malleable and cheap to make. It has been so convenient for many functions of daily life, that over 9 billion tons of plastic have been made since the 1950s. While plastic has been incredibly useful for consumers, its inability to biodegrade is a huge environmental issue for the planet.
Only 9% of the world's plastic has been recycled, with the vast majority thrown away into landfill or the general environment. So pervasive is the issue that recent surveys found microplastics was found in a third of British-caught fish, including cod, mackerel, and shellfish. This can result in malnutrition or starvation for the fish, and lead to plastic ingestion in humans too. Some plastics are known to contain chemicals that are harmful to human development. This is significant as it demonstrates the problem is not merely about litter and visual pollution.
With increasing public awareness of the harm plastic has on the environment, consumers are increasingly seeking a relationship with retailers and manufacturers that extend beyond a mere transaction. With increasing government legislation, consumers across all generations, particularly the young, are adapting their purchasing behavior in line with the ethics and values of retailers and manufacturers.
The report "Impact of Evolving Consumer Attitudes Towards Plastic Packaging", covers how packaging is evolving to meet the desires and expectations of consumers, in addition to identifying future trends that are likely to impact the FMCG markets. The report analyses the evolution to date, and identifies future trends in a number of sectors including personal care, food, retail, and foodservice.
- Recycling is a step In the right direction, but zero waste is the ultimate solution
- Young consumers in next-generation emerging markets are the most invested in leading sustainable lifestyles.
- Increasing government legislation is having a positive effect on plastic reduction and influencing consumers to adopt greener purchasing behavior.
- Recognize what has driven the evolution of consumer attitudes so far, and why consumers are increasingly seeking green packaging.
- Identify where the market is going and how green/smart packaging will affect your relevant sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to assist future decision-making and product development.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Pret A Manger
- Coca Cola