1h Free Analyst TimeSuccess Case Study: Diet Coke in the US - Repositioning a tiring brand for a new generation
Speak directly to the analyst to clarify any post sales queries you may have.
Diet soft drinks have experienced a prolonged period of stagnation and decline, both as part of the overall consumer drift away from soft drinks consumption, but also from the proliferation of newer "zero-sugar" variants. "Diet" as a claim has become less well understood in a changed marketplace, necessitating a rethink for key brands.
Diet Coke has turned around a long decline with a striking rebrand and re-targeted promotional campaign. Diet Coke underwent a relaunch at the start of 2018 to address years of slow decline. With a new can design and look, new flavor options, and a Millennial-focused marketing campaign, the brand reversed its decline in short order, achieving the strongest growth seen in the brand since 2010.
Diet Coke successfully targeted Millennials, from design, to flavors, to advertising style and imagery. Developing an accurate understanding of Millennials, the audience identified as key in rebuilding the brand, has been key to Diet Coke's recent success. The brand's relevance to their outlook and lifestyle has been heroed in irreverent advertising highlighting consumption experience over diet/health claims.
- Developing an accurate understanding of Millennials, the audience identified as key to rebuilding the brand, has been vital to Diet Coke's recent success.
- The brand has presented itself as relevant to Millennials' outlook and lifestyle in irreverent advertising highlighting consumption experience over diet/health claims.
- Diet Coke has showed it is possible to shift demographic focus successfully (from 1980s Baby Boomers to Millennials) without a total reformulation. Presentation, flavor options, and effective communication can work efficiently.
Reasons to buy
- Use the publisher's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents1. Introduction
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Coca-Cola Company