Global mobile phone market volume declined 1.88 billion units in 2018, down 3.7% year-on-year. This has been affected by the decline in smartphone shipments in the same year as the global smartphone market declined 2.3% year-on-year to 1.49 billion units. The smartphone decline is attributed to the slowdown in innovation, the surge in phone prices, and the extended replacement cycle. This report provides an overview of the smartphone market volume forecasts for the period 2019-2023, with smartphone market volume broken down by region, by price point and by operating system.
- An update of worldwide mobile phone market forecasts for the period 2019-2023, with breakdowns by price point and by operating system.
- It also examines mobile phone market volume and market share by the world's main regions, including North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa, China, and Asia Pacific (including Japan).
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Market by Device Type, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Market Share by Device Type, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market by Region, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market Share by Region, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market by Price Point, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market Share by Price Point, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market by Operating System, 2016-2023
- Worldwide Smartphone Market Share by Operating System, 2016-2023
- Research Scope & Definitions
Primary research with a holistic, cross-domain approach
The exhaustive primary research methods are central to the value that the analyst delivers. A combination of questionnaires and on-site visits to the major manufacturers provides a first view of the latest data and trends. Information is subsequently validated by interviews with the manufacturers' suppliers and customers, covering a holistic industry value chain. This process is backed up by a cross-domain team-based approach, creating an interlaced network across numerous interrelated components and system-level devices to ensure statistical integrity and provide in-depth insight.
Complementing primary research is a running database and secondary research of industry and market information. Dedicated research into the macro-environmental trends shaping the ICT industry also allows the analyst to forecast future development trends and generate foresight perspectives. With more than 20 years of experience and endeavors in research, the methods and methodologies include:
- Component supplier interviews
- System supplier interviews
- User interviews
- Channel interviews
- IPO interviews
- Focus groups
- Consumer surveys
- Production databases
- Financial data
- Custom databases
- Technology forecasting and assessment
- Product assessment and selection
- Product life cycles
- Added value analysis
- Market trends
- Scenario analysis
- Competitor analysis