Colombo District is one of the 25 districts in Sri Lanka. It includes the capital city Colombo and 12 other sub-units known as divisional secretariats. The economy growth in the district is likely to be driven by the Sri Lanka’s economic reform program, which is supported by International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a three-year extended fund facility to pursue revenue-based fiscal consolidation. Service sector is a major contributor to the overall GVA of area’s economy accounting for 60.9%.
“City Profile - Colombo” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Colombo. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector remains the key contributor to the area’s economy - and the major employer.
- Colombo is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists and witnessed a significant growth.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the Analyst
About the Author
List Of Tables
Table 1: Colombo District - key facts (estimates), 2018
Table 2: Colombo District - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Colombo District - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Colombo District - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Colombo District - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Colombo District - main universities, 2019
Table 7: Colombo District - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Colombo District - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Colombo city - Bandaranaike International Airport, key airport indicators, 2015-17
Table 10: Colombo - guest nights in accommodation establishments, 2014-17
Table 11: Colombo - guest nights in accommodation establishments, 2014-17
Table 12: Colombo city - MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Colombo District - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Colombo District - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Colombo District - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Colombo District - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Colombo District - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Colombo District - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)