The study provides detailed information regarding key regulations framework shaping the telecommunications sector in South Africa. The study discusses the regulatory framework that looks into the radio spectrum, digital migration, and price regulation into detail. Furthermore, an overview of technology evolution and competitive landscape are also provided. The evolution of South Africa’s mobile market has been defined by three key dynamics: the regulatory framework, technology evolution, and the competitive environment. South Africa has a highly competitive mobile market with four operators looking to grow their market shares through extensive investment in advanced networks.
In terms of growth opportunities, there is a huge scope for spectrum licensing as the radio spectrum is a critical resource for wireless applications and communications. Consumer demands for faster Internet access, the increase in data-based services, and the push from governments in many countries to increase connectivity to all citizens are some of the factors driving the demand for radio spectrum. With the spectrum, mobile operators will be in a position to advance communication reach and ensure that connectivity is affordable to most South Africans.
Digital migration and licensing of the spectrum will enable the better utilisation of spectrum and increase the pace of broadband development. The implication for broadcasters would be a reduction in the cost of infrastructure development and maintenance. For end users, digital migration provides better picture and sound quality. Viewers will have access to interactive TV and more channels to choose from. Hence, service providers and the wider industry need to work and collaborate to ensure that proper use is made once released. While it is important that data communications prices are reduced as a measure to increase digital inclusivity, it is equally important to ensure that there is enough demand for data. This means that the industry stakeholders including the government need to work together to create online content to drive people to use Internet. Initiatives such as eGovernment services, eHealth, and eEducation will be crucial to create demand for fast Internet services.
To conclude, for the spectrum licence to be a success, the government should ensure that fair allocation is made. For digital migration to be successful, the government needs to ensure that no more delays are made in its deadline and should plan its allocation. While prices are set to reduce and there is an expectation in the increased uptake of broadband it is equally important that there is enough content to drive the demand for Internet.
1. Executive Summary
2. Research Perspective
- Research Scope
- Mobile Market Evolution
3. Overview of South African Communications and Regulatory Environment
- Market Overview
- Service Provider Positioning
- Communications Infrastructure - Submarine and Backbone Network
- Communications Infrastructure - Access Network
- Regulatory Framework Overview
- Structure and Functions of ICASA
4. Regulatory Environment - Radio Spectrum
- What is Radio Spectrum?
- Operator Radio Spectrum
- Why is Radio Spectrum Important for Communications?
- Who Regulates and Manages Radio Spectrum?
- Who Has Been Allocated What Spectrum?
- Auctioning of Valuable Spectrum
5. Regulatory Environment - Digital Migration
- Digital Migration - Global Analysis
- Digital Migration in South Africa
- Digital Migration
- Digital Migration Process
6. Regulatory Environment - Price Regulation
- Tariff Structure and Policies - Past
- Tariff Structure and Policies - Future
7. Technology Evolution
- Technology Evolution - Broadband Standards
- Mobile Telecoms Technology Protocols
- Mobile Broadband Connectivity Trends
- Mobile Broadband Network Availability and Usage
- Next-generation Networks
- Major Opportunities for 5G
8. Competitive Landscape
- Competitive Structure
- Mobile Market Shares
- Mobile Tower Ownership
- Access Network - Cellular Towers Market
- Infrastructure of Key Providers of Wholesale and Retail Broadband Services
9. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Licensing and Spectrum
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Digital Migration
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Price Regulation
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
10. The Last Word
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits