Low power wide area network (LPWAN) is a wireless technology that is optimized for lower-bandwidth machine-to-machine (M2M) and the Internet of Things (IoT) communication, delivering the benefits of lower-cost operations, lower pricing for network services, enhanced coverage, and longer battery life. Leading LPWAN technologies include LoRaWAN from the LoRa Alliance; Sigfox from Sigfox, a global company headquartered in France; RPMA, a technology from Ingenu; and Weightless technology standards from SIG.
Proprietary LPWANs typically operate in the license-free industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) bands and are hence less expensive on a per-connection basis than current mobile cellular and other licensed radio options. Latency is not the primary concern; hence long-range operation is feasible. However, they face strong competition from licensed LPWAN cellular-based technologies, since, at the same time, the cellular industry is also developing standards to support M2M and IoT deployments in an efficient manner. Some of these technologies include narrowband (NB)-IoT, LTE-M, NB LTE-MTC, and EC-GSM-IoT.
The Latin American LPWAN market is still at a nascent stage; therefore, this study will focus on the most advanced LPWAN deployments in the region:
1. Proprietary LPWAN technologies (in the unlicensed spectrum):
2. LPWAN Cellular technologies in the licensed spectrum:
- Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT)
- Long Term Evolution Machine Type Communication (LTE-MTC)
No single technology or company can meet the demands of IoT across sectors and consumers. While most technologies can be expected to coexist, the best alternatives will emerge from trial and error and by mapping features to requirements. The scale of IoT, though vast already, is still far from what can be achieved, and the demand has only just scratched the surface.
This market insight covers the following for the Latin American region:
- LPWAN overview and characteristics
- Detailed leading LPWAN technologies
- Analysis of LPWAN and mobile technologies being implemented by both MNOs and non-telcos
- Detailed analysis of LPWAN technologies for IoT applications
- Market forecast in terms of connections
- Market drivers and restraints
- Growth opportunities and strategic imperatives for success
The base year of this insight is 2017, with forecasts running up to 2023. The research highlights key trends impacting the Latin American LPWAN market and outlines future implications.
Key Issues Addressed
- Will the market continue to grow over the forecast period? If so, at what rate?
- Where does LPWAN stand today in Latin America?
- What are the primary challenges faced by vendors addressing this market?
- What are the drivers and restraints for market growth?
- What are the market opportunities for Mobile Network Operators?
- What are the revenue breakups by technology type (licensed/unlicensed)? Which is the fastest-growing?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Market Definitions
- Research Scope
- Research Scope - Technology Segmentation
- Key Questions This Insight Will Answer
3. LPWAN Overview
- LPWAN Overview
- IoT Connectivity - Emerging Options
- Details of Leading LPWAN Technologies
- LPWAN Implementation by Both MNOs and Non-telcos
4. LPWAN Technologies for IoT Applications
- LTE-M for IoT Applications
- NB-IoT for IoT Applications
- Sigfox for IoT Applications
- LoRa for IoT Applications
- RPMA for IoT Applications
5. External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints - LPWAN Market
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
6. Market Forecast
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Connections Forecast
- Connections Forecast Discussion
- Percent Connection Forecast by Type
- Connections by Type Forecast Discussion
7. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1: Working Closely with Governments
- Growth Opportunity 2: Vertical-specific Solutions
- Growth Opportunity 3: Consumer IoT Applications
- Strategic Imperatives for LPWAN Market Participants
8. The Last Word
- The Last Word - Key Takeaways
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits