As hospitals look to improve operational efficiency in the provision of services, digital solutions become vital in delivering facilities management (FM) solutions. In addition, as hospitals look for more environmentally viable solutions, FM providers become an important part of energy- and environmentally-efficient management of hospitals.
Increasing regulations (in terms of the provision of services in hospitals) will continue to drive growth in the outsourcing of FM services. In particular, the private sector as a whole has seen growth in the overall number of hospitals, as well as new beds, creating potential growth opportunities for FM companies.
A key driver of the growth in the FM market is the overall increase in health expenditure (driven by migration, chronic diseases and an ageing population), leading to the expansion of the asset base and an increase in the number of medical practitioners. However, there are several restraints to market growth. These include increased instances of soft FM being kept in-house, knowledge gaps and inadequate provision of services to rural and remote regions, as well as FM protocols, practices and delivery challenges.
The FM market for healthcare has been fairly competitive, with a number of dominant competitors. Compliance, expertise and track record, existing business relationships/contracts, as well as qualified and skilled staff are the key factors providing a competitive advantage. Over the long term, the emergence of digital/smart hospitals will increase the demand for technology-driven FM services which will leverage Building Information Modelling (BIM), patient and visitor analytics and digital tools for catering, as well as Internet of Things (IoT)-specific solutions.
This research service provides an insight into the drivers for the growth of the FM market in the Australian healthcare sector, the restraints to growth, the forecast expenditure on FM, trends by outsourced versus in-house FM, integrated FM versus other FM (single and bundled services), hard versus soft FM, competitive trends and future shifts impacting the management of healthcare facilities.
The study period is from 2015 to 2024, with the base year as 2018 and the forecast period as 2019 to 2024.
Key Issues Addressed
- Is the market growing? How long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
- What are the trends affecting industry decision-making in outsourcing and what are the strategies of competitors in meeting these trends?
- What are the trends in terms of integrated FM versus other FM, as well as hard versus soft FM?
- Are the services offered today meeting customer needs or is additional development needed?
- What technological shifts will change the way healthcare facilities are managed in the future?
- What influence will the imperative to reduce environmental impact have on the future of healthcare facilities?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
2. Scope and Definitions
- Scope and Definitions
3. Overview of the Healthcare Industry in Australia
- Healthcare Snapshot
- Industry Structure
- Public and Private Hospitals
- Number of Hospitals Over Time
- Public and Private Hospitals by Region
- Healthcare Expenditure
- Sources of Funding - Public and Private Hospitals
- Medical Practitioners
- PPPs in Healthcare
4. Drivers and Restraints
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
5. Forecasts and Trends - Total Facilities Management Market in Healthcare
- Revenue Forecast
- Revenue Forecast Assumptions
- Outsourcing and Integrated FM
- Hard and Soft FM
- End Segments
6. Market Share and Competitive Analysis
- Market Share Analysis
- Competitive Environment
- Competitive Analysis - M&As
- Competitive Factors
- Recent FM Healthcare Contracts - Examples
7. Mega Trends in Healthcare FM
- Digitisation of Healthcare
- Move to Value-based Care
- Consumerisation of Healthcare
- Future of Technology in FM/Healthcare
- Future of Residential Aged Care
8. Growth Opportunities
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Leveraging Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Leveraging Patient Analytics and Visitor Data
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Digital Tools for Catering
- Growth Opportunity 4 - Internet of Things (IoT)
- Growth Opportunity 5 - Reducing Environmental Impact
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
9. The Last Word
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Additional Sources of Information on Facilities Management
- List of Exhibits