Ensure you thoroughly understand the intricate details of providing effective care for adults as they age. Ebersole & Hess' Toward Healthy Aging, 10th Edition is the only comprehensive gerontological nursing text that effectively communicates how to provide holistic care, promote healthy lives, and address end-of-life issues and concerns. Grounded in the core competencies recommended by the AACN in collaboration with the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, the tenth edition has been extensively revised and updated with shorter, more streamlined chapters and pedagogical features to facilitate learning. It covers the areas of safety and ethical considerations, genetics, communication with the patient and caregiver, promoting health in persons with conditions commonly occurring in later-life world-wide addressing loss and palliative care and much more. Special sections provide an honest look at the universal experience of aging and the nurse's role in the reduction of health disparities and inequities as a member of the global community. Plus, it contains a variety of new learning features that focus on applying research and thinking critically in when providing care to aging adults across the care continuum.
Part I: Foundations of Healthy Aging
1. Aging, Health and Wellness in a Global Community 2. Gerontological Nursing: Past, Present, and Future 3. Theories and Processes of Aging 4. Cross-Cultural Caring and Aging 5. Cognition and Learning
Part II: Foundations of Caring
6. Communicating with Older Adults 7. Health Assessment 8. Laboratory Diagnostics and Geriatrics 9. Geropharmacology 10. The Use of Dietary Supplements: Focus on Herbal Products
Part III: Wellness and Function
11. Vision 12. Hearing 13. Skin Care 14. Nutrition 15. Hydration and Oral Care 16. Elimination 17. Sleep 18. Physical Activity and Exercise 19. Falls and Fall Risk Reduction 20. Safety and Security
Part IV: Wellness and Chronic Illness
21. Living Well with Chronic Illness 22. Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Health and Wellness 23. Neurodegenerative Disorders 24. Endocrine and Immune Disorders 25. Respiratory Health and Illness 26. Common Musculoskeletal Concerns 27. Pain and Comfort 28. Mental Health 29. Care of Individuals with Neurocognitive Disorders
Part V: Healthy Aging for Elders and Their Families
30. Economics and Health Care in Later Life 31. Common Legal and Ethical Issues 32. Long-Term Care 33. Intimacy and Sexuality 34. Relationships, Roles, and Transitions 35. Loss, Death, and Palliative Care 36. Self-Actualization, Spirituality, and Transcendence
Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, Florida.
Dr. Theris A. Touhy, DNP, CNS, DPNAP
Jett, Kathleen F Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida; Research Consultant, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
Dr. Kathleen F. Jett, PhD, GNP-BC