In an era of ever-increasing demand for freshwater and rigorous environmental restrictions, the Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) systems market is a rapidly expanding sector worthy of a keen eye. ZLD systems, with their unparalleled ability to purely and effectively reclaim and reuse wastewater, offer a pivotal solution to water scarcity and pollution.
This invaluable market research report delves into the wide range of factors influencing the industry. From increasing investments in ZLD systems deployment to the power generation industry's predominant influence on the market, the report provides comprehensive coverage of market trends and key highlights. Regarding geographical focus, Asia-Pacific features as a significant market player with China and India driving high-demand for ZLD systems. Furthermore, the report tackles the consolidated market trend, providing insightful analysis on leading competitors such as Veolia, SUEZ, Aquatech International LLC, among others. This report is a must-have for anyone seeking to understand the fascinating dynamics encompassing the ZLD systems market.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a negligible impact on the market. However, the market has been estimated to grow at a steady pace during the forecast period.
- One of the major factors driving the market is the rapidly increasing demand for freshwater.
- However, the high capital and energy cost of ZLD system technology are likely to restrain the market.
- An increase in investments in the deployment of ZLD systems is expected to provide growth opportunities for the market.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period.
Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) Systems Market Trends
The Power Generation Industry is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Water management is a high priority for power plant owners. Many factors can make it a particular concern, such as stricter environmental restrictions on wastewater discharge, regional water shortages, and the public perception of power plants. Implementing zero liquid discharge (ZLD) can help solve these issues.
- The ZLD process eliminates discharge at the end of the wastewater treatment cycle and allows the processed water to be reclaimed and reused in a variety of advantageous ways
- Zero liquid discharge is particularly relevant for the steam electric power industry, as coal-fired power plants have a large water demand and water discharge is more challenging. According to a BP Statistical Review, electricity generation globally increased by 6.2% from 2020 to 2021.
- Around 70% of the total electricity generated in China comes from coal-fired power plants. Most of the thermal power plants in China are located in water-scarce regions. This conflict between energy demand and water deficit gives rise to the demand for ZLD in China.
- According to the forecast by the World Energy Outlook - International Energy Agency, more than 2,457 gigawatts (GW) of power capacity is likely to be installed worldwide over the next 25 years.
- Additionally, the net-zero emissions target by 2030 positioned by the IEA (International Energy Agency) is likely to lay additional gravity on clean energy, which, in turn, is expected to increase the demand for the ZLD market.
- Hence, owing to the aforementioned factors, the power generation industry is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is Likely to Witness the Highest Growth Rate
- The Asia-Pacific ZLD systems market is witnessing significant growth, owing to high demand from countries like India and China.
- China and India have made several government regulations to install ZLD systems and reduce water pollution by implementing water treatment techniques.
- The Indian government issued a policy to install ZLD facilities in all textile plants that generate more than 25 metric cubics of wastewater per day. The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) in India has also released guidelines on the techno-economic feasibility of the implementation of zero-liquid discharge (ZLD) for water-polluting industries.
- In March 2021, the Indian government informed that an investment of USD 0.01078 million is anticipated in the chemical sector by 2025, with opportunities offered by the increase in demand by about 9% per annum over the next five years, with about 168 investment prospects and about 29 projects under development. This is expected to drive the demand for ZLD systems in the country in the coming years.
- China, under its 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-2025), has set the target for coal-power capacity to about 1,100 GW. In the first half of 2021, China planned to build 43 new coal-fired power plants.
- In February 2022, the eastern Chinese coastal province of Zhejiang approved the construction of a USD 1.10 billion coal-fired power plant with 2 gigawatts (GW) of generating capacity.
- Furthermore, China is the largest producer of crude steel in the world. According to the World Steel Association, China is the largest producer of steel in the world. In 2021, the country's annual production capacity of crude steel stood at 1,032.8 metric tons, registering more than 50% of the global production. The strong growth of steel production in the country is estimated to drive the ZLD systems market during the forecast period.
- Owing to the aforementioned reasons, Asia-Pacific is likely to witness the highest growth rate.
Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) Systems Market Competitor AnalysisThe zero liquid discharge (ZLD) systems market is consolidated in nature. Some of the major recognized players in the market (in no particular order) include Veolia, SUEZ, Aquatech International LLC, GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft, and Evoqua Water Technologies LLC, among others (not in any particular order).
Additional benefits of purchasing the report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents1 INTRODUCTION
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Freshwater
4.1.2 More Stringent Regulations for Wastewater Disposal
4.2.1 High Capital and Energy Cost of Technology
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Oil and Gas
5.2.3 Metallurgy and Mining
5.2.4 Chemicals and Petrochemicals
5.2.6 Other End-user Industries
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 ASEAN Countries
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ALFA LAVAL
6.4.2 AQUARION AG
6.4.3 Aquatech International LLC
6.4.4 Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
6.4.5 GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft
6.4.6 H2O GmbH
6.4.7 IDE Water Technologies.
6.4.8 Mitsubishi Power Ltd
6.4.9 Praj Industries
6.4.10 SafBon Water Technology.
6.4.11 Saltworks Technologies Inc.
6.4.13 Thermax Limited
6.4.15 Veolia Water Technologies Inc.
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 More Investments in the Deployment of ZLD Systems
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- ALFA LAVAL
- AQUARION AG
- Aquatech International LLC
- Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
- GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft
- H2O GmbH
- IDE Water Technologies.
- Mitsubishi Power Ltd
- Praj Industries
- SafBon Water Technology.
- Saltworks Technologies Inc.
- Thermax Limited
- Veolia Water Technologies Inc.