The Global Water Automation and Instrumentation Market was valued at USD 3405.9 Million in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 4672.7 Million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 6.7%, during the period of 2021-2026. The COVID-19 pandemic considerably hampered the production of water automation instrumentation at the beginning of 2020. This is because the lockdown imposed in several countries to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus caused considerable disruptions in the global supply chain of the parts and components used in the water and wastewater landscape instruments.
- Managing operational costs emerged as one of the biggest challenges posed by stakeholders of the water industry, as the governments are imposing regulations, along with depletion of potable water resources. Expenses relating to labor and energy constitute the largest share in OPEX for water utilities.
- The increasing health concerns for preventing water-borne diseases among consumers augmented the consumption of bottled drinking water. Furthermore, this trend led to an increase in infrastructure development investments that support the water automation market.
- There has been an increase in the use of decentralized control systems, with the rise in the number of outstations and varied qualities of water in a region. Automation solutions, such as PLC, help in controlling pump station motor contactors, stirrer motors, and distributed valves, as well as to measure the pressure transmitter of the water.
- Water instrumentation solutions, such as liquid analyzers and level transmitters, are helping chemical and pharmaceutical industries maintain precision. The high prices of specific sensors might increase the cost of such instruments. However, reduced operational costs due to the users are expected to decline the total cost of ownership.
- Technological innovations include taking advantage of previously unusable supplies through improved water desalination and increased industrial efficiency through new water reclaiming technologies. A new breed of water tech automation solutions, especially the Internet of Things (IoT)-based control and monitoring systems combined with SCADA software for water management, are solutions that can be explored to help begin to solve certain issues.
Key Market Trends
Demand from Food and Beverage Industry to Witness a Significant Growth Rate
- The production of food and beverages requires a large amount of water, and water quality is crucial to product quality and operational reliability as water is one of the important raw materials in the food and beverage processing industry. The implementation of water and wastewater automation in the food and beverage industry can save significant revenues for the company along with eliminating errors and waste, enhancing efficiency and productivity, and expanding profit margins.
- Further, various companies in the Food and beverage industry are deploying various automation and instrumentation methods. For instance, a food processing plant in Peru was faced with natural groundwater contaminated with high turbidity and arsenic, making it unsuitable for use in food processing. AMI’s custom-engineered solution incorporates ultrafiltration membranes with pretreatment by coagulant and depth filtration, as well as chlorination of the filtrate to produce water meeting the customer’s high-quality standards for use in food product processing. The system is AMI PLC automated using a central control enclosure and touchscreen HMI operator interface.
- Moreover, instrumentation technology such as liquid analyzer, pressure measurement system, flow measurement system is being deployed in the food and beverage industry to reduce the volume of wastewater during the process by using the above-mentioned instrumentation technology when discharging products from the lines.
- Further, Raw water, process water or wastewater can be efficiently monitored with modular, space-saving analysis panels. This simplifies daily process integration and operation in the food and beverage industries.
United States to Account for Significant Market Share
- Plant managers generally do not have the time to study specifications and suppliers to find the solution to specific application requirements. To counter this requirement, vendors offer a complete product portfolio for water industry applications and instrument consultants' expertise.
- Originally vendors in the region offered a portfolio of level and pressure instruments for this industry segment, but recently, water analytical instruments have widened the range of tools to encompass all the technologies of water production and purification.
- Americans have become accustomed to receiving clean water when they turn on their taps and having waste disappear down their pipes. Yet, not many understand the complicated and expensive systems required to deliver those services. For instance, the United States has 26 miles of water mains, 1.2 million miles of water supply mains for every mile of interstate highway. That is just the drinking water system. There is nearly an equal number of sewer pipes.
- Thus, to maintain such a vast establishment and organized channel of the wastewater system, many companies are making strategic acquisitions to gain technical expertise. For instance, in May 2021, The TASI Group of Companies acquired Mission Communication, Norcross GA, to complement TASI Flow’s existing Asset Management and Wireless Connectivity Strategy, bringing a strong presence in the Water and Wastewater market.
The major players, include ABB Group, Siemens AG, Schneider Electric SE, GE Corporation, Rockwell Automation Inc., Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Emerson Electric, Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Endress+ Hauser Pvt. Ltd, EurotekIndia, Phoenix Contact, NALCO, MJK Automation, and Blue Water Automation. As the market is fragmented, there is a major competition between the major players. Therefore, the market concentration is expected to be low.
- November 2020 - PUB, Singapore's National Water Agency, issued ABB a contract for a complete site-wide plant monitoring and control system for the Tuas Water Reclamation Plant valued at USD 30 million.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Government Regulation to Save Water Resources and Energy
4.2.2 Increase in Adoption of Smart Water Technologies
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Lack of Skilled Personnel to Operate Instrumentation
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of the COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5.1.6 Other Water Automation Solutions
5.2 Water Instrumentation Solution
5.2.1 Pressure Transmitter
5.2.2 Level Transmitter
5.2.3 Temperature Transmitter
5.2.4 Liquid Analyzers
5.2.5 Gas Analyzers
5.2.6 Leakage Detection Systems
5.2.7 Flow Sensors/Transmitters
5.2.8 Other Water Instrumentation Solutions
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Food and Beverages
5.3.5 Paper and Pulp
5.3.6 Other End-user Industries
5.4.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6.1.1 ABB Group
6.1.2 Siemens AG
6.1.3 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.4 GE Corporation
6.1.5 Rockwell Automation Inc.
6.1.6 Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
6.1.7 Emerson Electric
6.1.8 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
6.1.9 Endress + Hauser Pvt. Ltd
6.1.10 Eurotek India
6.1.11 Phoenix Contact
6.1.13 MJK Automation
6.1.14 KROHNE LTD
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- ABB Group
- Siemens AG
- Schneider Electric SE
- GE Corporation
- Rockwell Automation Inc.
- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
- Emerson Electric
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- Endress + Hauser Pvt. Ltd
- Eurotek India
- Phoenix Contact
- MJK Automation
- KROHNE LTD