Valued at approximately $6.6bn in 2017, the Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices market is being driven by the new and innovative continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMs) segment, which is expanding at double-digits. CGMs monitor blood glucose 24/7, replace painful and cumbersome fingersticks and provide instant alerts and trends/patterns that can help detect and prevent potentially dangerous hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
Growth will be offset by the declining conventional blood glucose meters (BGMs) segment, which has been negatively impacted by dramatic cuts in reimbursement for once-lucrative disposable test strips, and market saturation of lower-cost meters.
Overall, the combined market will remain positive over the forecast period due to the substantial, increasing diabetes population (estimated at more than 425 million worldwide) and the pressing need to cut spiraling diabetes healthcare costs and control diabetes-related complications. Fast-paced technological innovations, such as new noninvasive “patch-based” glucose monitoring systems and wireless smart-devices and apps are allowing greater availability, affordability, convenience and diabetes management.
This report provides the following useful information:
- prevalence of diabetes
- blood glucose monitoring device portfolios offered by leading manufacturers
- new and emerging, proprietary technologies
- key technological and market trends
- analysis of BGMs and CGMs segments
- in-depth market and competitive analyses (including 5-year market forecast and 2017 market share by segment region)
Markets covered by this analysis include the US, Japan, the five major EU markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK), and the Rest of World (RoW) markets, which includes all other countries.
- The blood glucose monitoring devices market totalled more than $6.6bn in 2017.
- The market includes two segments: blood glucose meters (BGMs) and new continuous blood glucose monitoring systems (CGMs).
- The CGMs segment is exhibiting double-digit growth and is expected to drive the market forward, while the larger BGMs segment is declining due to cuts in reimbursement, market saturation of lower-cost meters, and other factors.
- The blood glucose monitoring devices market will be driven by the large and growing prevalence of diabetes worldwide and the strong need for accurate blood glucose monitoring devices for people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes on insulin therapy, as well as to prevent the progression of diabetes in the larger non-insulin dependent population, and to control spiralling diabetes-related healthcare costs. The market will also be driven by greater availability and affordability of next-generation, wireless, smartphone-based diabetes management systems & non-invasive wearables, such as glucose monitoring patches.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the value of the global blood glucose monitoring devices markets? What is the expected growth for each segment over the next 5 years?
- What is the expected market growth by major region of the world (US, 5EU, Japan, and RoW)?
- What are key market drivers & limiters?
- Who are the leading competitors? What is their estimated market share, and strategic growth strategies?
- Technological innovations & trends?
- What emerging start-ups have developed innovative technologies that may impact the market?
- Exhibit ES-1: Blood glucose monitoring device sales by product segment, combined market forecast ($m), 2017-22
- Diabetes defined
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Cost of diabetes
Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices
- Blood glucose meters
- Ascensia Diabetes Care/PHC Holdings Corporation
- LifeScan/Platinum Equity.
- Roche 10
- Continuous blood glucose monitoring systems
- New or emerging wearable blood glucose monitoring products
- One Drop/Apple Watch
- Medtronic: glucose-sensing patch
- Nemaura Medical
- Verily Lifesciences and others: smart contact lens and CGM patch
- Diabetes monitoring mobile apps
- Exhibit 2-1: Accuracy of blood glucose meters – top 8 with lowest MARD
- Exhibit 2-2: Selected blood glucose meter brands by manufacturer
- Exhibit 2-3: Selected blood glucose meters and features
- Exhibit 2-4: The FreeStyle Lite
- Exhibit 2-5: The Contour NEXT One and Contour Diabetes app
- Exhibit 2-6: The Contour NEXT Link 2.4
- Exhibit 2-7: OneTouch Verio Flex meter with OneTouch Reveal app
- Exhibit 2-8: The new Accu-Chek Guide and mySugr app
- Exhibit 2-9: Selected continuous glucose monitoring systems by manufacturer
- Exhibit 2-10: Selected continuous glucose monitoring systems and features
- Exhibit 2-11: The FreeStyle Libre (10-day) CGM System
- Exhibit 2-12: The Dexcom G6 CGM System with extended 10-day sensor
- Exhibit 2-13: The Guardian Connect CGM System with Sugar.IQ app
- Exhibit 2-14: The iPro2 Professional CGM system with CareLink iPro software
- Exhibit 2-15: One Drop Mobile app integrated with the Apple Watch
- Exhibit 2-16: The SugarBEAT system
- Exhibit 2-17: How the SugarBEAT draws glucose from interstitial fluid
- Exhibit 2-18: Senseonic’s Eversense Continuous Glucose Monitoring System and insertion procedure
- Exhibit 2-19: Verily Lifesciences’ investigational glucose-measuring contact lens
- Blood glucose monitoring devices market.
- Market forecast: global
- Market forecast: by region and segment
- US market
- Five major EU markets
- Japanese market
- Rest of the world market
- Market drivers and limiters
- Competitive analysis
- Market share: global
- Market share: by segment
- Market share: by region
- Corporate profiles
- Ascensia Diabetes Care
- Johnson & Johnson
- Nemaura Medical
- Exhibit 3-1: Blood glucose monitoring device sales by product segment, combined market forecast ($m), 2017-22
- Exhibit 3-2: Blood glucose monitoring devices market, forecast sales by region ($m), 2017-22
- Exhibit 3-3: Blood glucose monitoring device sales by product segment and region, combined market forecast ($m), 2017-22
- Exhibit 3-4: Blood glucose monitoring devices market, global share by supplier ($m), 2017
- Exhibit 3-5: Blood glucose meters market, global share by supplier ($m), 2017
- Exhibit 3-6: Continuous glucose monitoring systems market, global share by supplier ($m), 2017
- Exhibit 3-7: Blood glucose monitoring devices market, estimated share by supplier and region, 2017