Automated Home - Thematic Research
Global spending on automated home devices is expected to reach $75bn by 2025, up from $23bn in 2018. Much of that growth will be driven by two types of devices: smart thermostats, which are becoming increasingly common as consumers and governments alike look to control energy consumption; and smart speakers, relatively recent entrants to the market (the first device, Amazon's Echo, was only launched in 2014) that have proven to be phenomenally popular.
The advent of smart speakers has had a significant impact across the automated home, as they have enabled simple, voice-activated control of all types of smart devices and, thanks to their relatively low price point, offered an ideal entry point for customers that are curious about home automation. Their success has also turned the home into another front in the ongoing war between the giants of the technology industry, including Amazon, Google, Apple, Alibaba, and Samsung.
The “Echo” range of smart speakers is the foundation of Amazon's automated home business and the company has looked to build on that with acquisitions, including spending $1bn on smart doorbell manufacturer Ring. Google's decision to bring its automated home business together under the Nest brand should help it compete better with Amazon. Furthermore, the Chinese market represents a significant opportunity, with Alibaba, Baidu, and Xiaomi the leading vendors.
Samsung is falling behind in this theme - its smart speaker has yet to hit shelves despite being announced in 2018 and the company lacks a unified approach to the automated home of the kind that Google now has following its decision to embrace Nest as its automated home brand. Specialist automated home device vendors, such as Ecobee, will increasingly struggle to compete with the tech giants and will either be acquired or forced out of business.
The report "Automated Home - Thematic Research", provides an overview of the automated home theme. It gives details of the key trends that will shape the automated home theme over the next 12 to 24 months, classified into three categories: technology trends; macroeconomic trends; and regulatory trends.
- The home is becoming another front in the ongoing war between the giants of the technology industry.
- This report provides a detailed analysis of this theme, identifying the winners and losers, and placing it within the content of the broader IoT sector.
Reasons to buy
- This report provides an overview of the automated home theme.
- It identifies the leading companies in this market and places them within the Internet of Things value chain.
- It gives details of the key trends that will shape the automated home theme over the next 12 to 24 months, classified into three categories: technology trends; macroeconomic trends; and regulatory trends.
- The report provides forecasts for global spending on automated home devices, split by the five main device categories (smart speakers, smart thermostats, smart lighting, smart security, and smart appliances).
- Bharti Airtel
- China Telecom
- Deutsche Telekom
- Korea Telecom
- SK Telecom