This edition of the Energy and Power Systems TechVision Opportunity Engine (TOE) covers innovations in energy storage covering various battery types such as lithium-sulfur, lithium NMC, and sodium-based. Apart from batteries, various other energy storage options such as electrochemical energy storage, thermal storage, and flywheel-based storage are also covered. The applications for these include transportation, grid-scale energy storage, and demand response.
Other energy storage options such as hydrogen-based storage are also covered. Developments that help with finding useful end-of-life options for batteries are also discussed. Enhancing solar power production and using solar to create sustainable fuels are among the other developments in this issue of EPS. Production of liquid hydrocarbon fuels from solar energy for maritime and aviation applications is an interesting idea discussed. The use of advanced power electronics to increase solar energy yield is the other area covered. The utilization of new VPP tools for grid stabilization is another area of discussion.
The Energy and Power Systems TOE provides insights on the latest advances in the broad range of technology related to the energy industry. The topics regularly presented range from energy storage technologies (solid-state batteries, solar chemical storage and other advanced energy storage devices) to non-renewable energy such as oil and gas. Special emphasis is given to emerging areas in the renewable sector such as photovoltaics, wind energy, and geothermal energy, and emerging alternative fuels such as hydrogen, syngas, ethanol and biofuels. The EPS TOE keeps clients abreast of the latest R&D developments at major corporate and academic research centers, provides competitor intelligence and helps create strategic alliances.
The Energy and Environment cluster provides global insights and intelligence on a wide variety of disruptive emerging technologies and platforms ranging from energy storage, advanced batteries, solar and wind energy, to unconventional oil, bioenergy, geothermal energy, and energy transmission.
Table of Contents
Advancements in Renewable Energy, Fuel Cells, Electricity Distribution, and Energy Storage
- Virtual Power Plant Tool Helps Balance the Grid
- Rise in Renewable Energy Expected to Drive Growth of VPPs
- Phase Change Material Thermal Energy Storage System Prevents Food Spoilage
- Research Efforts in China Focus on Phase Change Materials
- Lithium-sulfur Batteries Exhibit High Specific Energy
- Li-S Companies Moving Toward Commercialization by Early 2020s
- Flywheel Technology Enables Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles
- Recent Funding Facilitates Commercialization of Technology
- Low Cost and Highly Scalable Sodium-based Batteries
- Grid Scale Energy Storage and Electric Vehicles are the Key Growth Segments
- Intelligent Home Energy Storage Systems
- Growth of ICT Plays a Signification Role in Development of Residential Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Novel Electricity Distribution Systems for Telecom Operators
- Combined Transmission of Power along with Data at High Safety Levels is the Key Driving Factor
- Power Electronics Increase the Energy Efficiency of PV Module
- Advanced Power Electronics for Efficient Residential PV Installations
- Innovative High-performance Electrothermal Energy Storage
- Novel Energy Storage is Suitable for Grid Scale Implementation
- Post-vehicle Batteries for Second Life Storage Applications
- Second-Life Batteries are Suitable for Residential Energy Storage Applications
- Hydrogen-based Renewable Power Storage System
- Hydrogen-based Energy Storage is Suitable for Grid Scale Implementation
- Method for Producing Liquid Hydrocarbon Fuels From Sunlight
- Carbon-neutral Fuels for Transportation Applications