With more content moving online, distributors are forced to adapt to the new models of distribution. OTT services, virtual MVPDs, and other forms of distributing digital media have become the norms in the content space. At the same time, new approaches to distribution can affect content length, monetization options, and branding. This report explores the business of content distribution today and how the market is evolving in a rapidly changing digital media environment. It also provides examples of new alternatives for distribution among leading companies. This report provides a five-year forecast for household video consumption among broadband households.
Key Questions Answered
- What technological changes have occurred in video distribution recently?
- Which types of internet video are most affected by changes in video delivery?
- How do changes in content affect distribution and vice versa?
- How does the commoditization of distribution technology affect the economics of video services?
- Which business models are most affected by changes in distribution technology?
1.0 Report Summary
1.1 Purpose of Report
1.2 Key Questions Addressed by this Research
1.3 Research Approach/Sources
2.0 Modern Video Distribution
2.1 Today’s Distribution Innovations
3.0 Effect on Content Creation
4.0 Changes in Video Delivery Technology
4.2 Encoding/Transcoding and Compression
4.3 Content Delivery Networks
4.4 Scale and Latency
5.0 Shifts in Business Models for Video Delivery
5.1 Commoditization of Video Delivery
5.2 End-to-End Video Delivery
6.0 Future of Video Discovery
6.1 The Need for Enhanced Discovery
6.2 Focus on Metadata
6.3 Recommendation Engines
7.0 Considerations for Video Distribution
7.1 Impact of 5G, Edge Computing, and other Technologies
8.0 Forecast: US Video Consumption, 2019-2024
8.1 Forecast Methodology
9.0 Implications and Recommendations
10.3 Image Sources
- Business Insider
- Comcast Technology Solutions
- Dunkin Brands
- Fusion Media
- JW Player
- Kate Spade
- National Geographic
- NGD Systems
- OWL Labs
- Qvest Media
- RLJ Entertainment
- Vox Media
- Wicket Labs