Malaysia is expected to maintain a leadership role in online sales in the Southeast Asia region
Already a regional leader in the area of online retail sales growth rate and total sales, Malaysia is projected to keep this position in the near future, thanks to the high Internet penetration rate and growing comfort of connected individuals with buying online. Sources cited in the report foresee double-digit growth of online retail sales through 2025.
Social media and mobile shopping help drive the expansion of online commerce.
Recent surveys cited in the report indicate that well over half of Internet shoppers in Malaysia use a mobile device for their purchases. The spread of smartphones leads to increased digital shopping. Another related trend driving increased online sales in Malaysia is social media commerce, especially through WhatsApp and Facebook applications. Cross-border shopping from Malaysia is a further active trend helping increase total B2C E-Commerce sales in the country.
Regional online merchants compete with international sellers for the attention of Malaysian online shoppers
The Malaysian branches of two online shopping platforms based in nearby Singapore, Lazada and Shoppee are the leading websites in shopping traffic and have been in close competition in recent months in monthly total website visits. Even as these two leaders expand their product offerings and services to consumers, other regional players, such as Indonesia’s Bukalapak and Chinese players such as Taobao and AliExpress are increasing their presence on the peninsula.
Questions Answered in this Report
- What were the estimated B2C E-Commerce sales in Malaysia in 2018 and what is their projected growth through 2025?
- What are the main growth drivers of online retail sales in this country?
- How does online shopper penetration vary across the different regions in Malaysia?
- How many consumers in Malaysia, by age group and gender, make purchases online?
- Which B2C E-Commerce websites are the most popular among digital consumers in Malaysia?
1. Management Summary
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, June 2019
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, 2018e & 2023f, and CAGR, in %, 2018e - 2023f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, in USD billion, 2015, 2018e & 2025f, and CAGR, in %, 2018e - 2025f
- Digital Payment Service Penetration, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, in % of Respondents, Q2 2018
- Top 10 Most Visited E-Commerce Platforms, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, Q1 2019
- Top 10 Shopping Apps by Most Active Monthly Users, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, Q1 2019
- Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users, 2016 & 2018
- Breakdown of Internet Traffic by Device, in %, 2018
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out Online, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, November 2018
- Top 3 Countries Purchased From in the Latest Cross-Border Online Purchase, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, 2018
- Top 10 Countries Purchased From in the Latest Cross-Border Online Purchase, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, August 2018
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Made Purchases via Social Media, in % of Online Shoppers, February 2019
- Top Social Shopping Platforms, in % of Social Media Shoppers, February 2019
- Internet Economy Market Size, in USD billion, by Sector, 2015, 2018e & 2025f
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2018e & 2023f
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Income of Companies by B2B, B2C, B2G and Total, in MYR billion, 2015 & 2018
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in % of Respondents, Q3 2018
- Share of E-Commerce in National GDP, in %, 2016 & 2017
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2013 - 2018
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- Online Shopper Penetration by Region, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- Breakdown of Online Shoppers, by Age Group and Gender, in %, 2018
- Activities Performed Online, incl. “Online Shopping/ Booking”, in % of Internet Users, August 2018
- Reasons for Not Shopping Online, in % of Internet Users Who Do Not Shop Online, 2018
- Breakdown of Frequency of Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018
- Product Categories Purchased in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018
- Top 3 Product Categories Purchased Online by Generation Z, in % of Generation Z Online Shoppers, 2018
- Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018
- Top 5 Third-Party Payment Services Used in E-Commerce, in % of Third-Party Payment Services Users, 2018
- Most Important Factors in E-Commerce Delivery, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018
- Overview of E-Commerce Players, June 2019
- Top 10 E-Commerce Websites, by Average Monthly Visits, in millions, Q1 2019
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- 11 Street Co Ltd
- Lazada Group S.A.
- Taobao China Holding Ltd