The Capacitive Ceramic Pressure Sensors Market was valued at USD 772.12 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 1,205.93 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 7.34% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The global pandemic has influenced the automotive and manufacturing industries significantly over the last year. The manufacturing industry shrunk considerably due to the pandemic. The sector faced unprecedented challenges in the supply chain and procurement of raw materials, which resulted in significant losses for manufacturers. In addition, few industries, such as food & beverage and pharmaceutical, were deemed essential by governments. However, a considerable share of the manufacturers faced shut down for weeks. Currently, after the re-opening, they are meeting declined demands, investments about workforce safety, supply chain challenges, and due to reduced demands, production plants are either running at half the capacity or shut down.
- Pressure sensors with a capacitive cell have been designed to offer exceptional and accurate results than the existing equipment. The distinct advantages of ceramic material allow sensors to provide long-term stability and reliability, with high resistance to pressure. These have vital importance in the industry, owing to their excellent inert nature to corrosion and abrasion. This increased stability in testing environments has resulted in capacitive ceramic pressure sensors witnessing an increasing range of applications across various industries.
- In recent years, pressure sensors are among the most widely used sensors in the industrial sectors, which are common in various industrial automatic control environments, including water conservancy and hydropower, railway transportation, intelligent buildings, automatic production control, aerospace, petrochemical, oil wells, Power, ships, machine tools, pipelines, etc.
- The market outlook studied is positive and is expected to grow significantly due to the emergence of enhanced applications in high-growth sectors, such as healthcare and machine handling. These sensors offer better price-performance than other forms of sensors by relying on economies of scale advantages. The growth of capacitive ceramic pressure sensors has been driven by medical, industrial, and automotive applications, majorly in oil and gas industries, marine industry, and chemical industry.
- Further, the growth of factory automation in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa and the growing adoption of smart automobiles drive the capacitive ceramic pressure sensor market in these regions. These regions witness high activities of mergers and partnerships. For instance, Pewatron AG merged with Angst+Pfister Group to form a new brand, Angst+Pfister Sensors and Power, to expand its line of sensors and other power electronics-related components in March 2021.
- Moreover, Piezoresistive type ceramic pressure sensors are among the most common types of pressure sensors. They use the change in electrical resistance of a material when stretched to measure the pressure. Such sensors are suitable for a variety of applications owing to their simplicity and robustness. Apart from these, there is various type of pressure sensors available in the market which find application in specific equipment & industries as well as environments; however, these pressure sensors are cost-effective, and with the proliferation of MEMS technology the price of the sensors has declined significantly over the last few years and have vast applications in consumer electronics.
Key Market Trends
Medical Applications is Expected to Hold Significant Share
- Pressure sensing technology is playing a vital role in the complex array of medical devices. Pressure sensors used in medical devices save lives and must meet the most demanding, and in many cases, unique requirements. They offer accurate and stable measurements of critical pressure levels in gas and liquids within the body and treatments being applied to patients.
- Additionally, passive devices might not require a power source at all. The external reader can deliver the excitation signal. This makes them suitable for wearable or implanted medical devices. These applications can be improved by new technologies that enable the construction of flexible or molded sensors to the shape.
- Medical applications of ceramic capacitive sensors have shown significant growth over the year, as innovation in packaging creates a eutectic die bond over the ceramic substrate and offers an airtight seal even in the presence of harsh fluids. Respirators, ventilators, vital sign monitors, and airflow applications are a few major medical end-user applications, which deal with the high-value stakes incorporated with equipment accuracy.
- Further, the COVID-19 pandemic caused the demand for ventilators to increase rapidly in the past year. This has enabled companies like Setra Systems to help manufacturers select the ideal pressure sensors for use for ventilators and use on testing equipment for the same. The company manufactures a wide range of pressure sensors for medical ventilator manufacturing and testing.
- For instance, Setra Model 278 uses a variable capacitance sensor using ceramic material fused with gold and glass to form the SETRACERAM pressure element.
North America Accounts for the Largest Share
- North America is anticipated to dominate the capacitive ceramic pressure sensor market due to its stable industrial structure across all domains. The region's growing research and development activities drive the area to dominate innovations and commercialization.
- In the Automobile industry by transduction type, these sensors have formed the largest segment with better optimization, control, and safety enhancement, acting as some critical drivers for the growth of this segment. In the vehicle type segment, passenger cars have dominated the market share in the U.S., with easier availability of components and related manufacturers acting as a few significant factors for this segment's growth. According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), In 2020, the auto industry in the United States sold approximately 14.5 million light vehicle units. Light-duty vehicles are famous for their utility and improved fuel economy, making them an ideal choice in the region.
- Moreover, in tire pressure monitoring system regulations in North America, it is required that the tire pressure monitoring system must respond within 2 minutes of an abnormal tire, after which an alarm will alert the owner. The monitoring system display must alert the owner when the pressure monitoring sensor device signal in the tire is not received or when the reception is unstable. Such regulations in the region drive the market for capacitive ceramic pressure sensors due to the increasing applications in the automobile industry.
- Some of the vendors in the region include Vega Americas, Sensata technologies, Setra Systems, among others. Companies such as Setra systems are engaged in offering capacitive ceramic pressure sensors for industrial applications. The company is also ISO 9001-2008 certified manufacturer that offers these sensors to applications involving HVAC & building automation, industrial OEM, test & measurement, and critical environments.
- Further, in July 2021, Sensata Technologies acquired Preco Electronics. The company has further extended its sensing content into areas related to the autonomous megatrend and builds scale in heavy-duty vehicle markets with the acquisition.
The capacitive ceramic pressure sensor market is fragmented due to a limited number of players holding significant market shares globally. These players have adopted various growth strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, new product launches, expansions, joint ventures, and partnerships to strengthen their market share. Product innovation and technological advancements are most to stay relevant in the market. The market players focus on portfolio diversification through alliances and mergers to strengthen their position in the market.
- March 2021 - Pewatron AG and the company's subsidiary, Pewatron Deutschland GmbH, have become an integral part of the Angst+Pfister Group’s business activities. With the new brand Angst+Pfister Sensors and Power, Pewatron has been underlining the importance of sensors and power electronics as key pillars of its growth strategy and stepping up intensive efforts in this area.
- January 2020 - VEGA launched its new radar sensor, pressure sensor, and level switches. With the new VEGABAR pressure sensors and VEGAPOINT level switches, VEGA becomes a full-range supplier for level and pressure in food and pharmaceutical processes.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5.2.1 Intense Competition From Existing Piezoresistive Ceramic Pressure Sensors
6.1.1 Automotive and Transportation (Marine, others)
6.1.2 Industrial (Food and Beverage, HVAC, Energy and Chemical, others)
6.1.4 Other Applications (Hardware)
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Rest of the World
7.1.1 Vega Americas, Inc.
7.1.2 Nanjing Jiucheng Technology Co. Limited
7.1.3 Sensata Technologies Holding PLC(Impress Sensors and Kavlico Corporation)
7.1.4 Metallux SA
7.1.5 Angst+Pfister Sensors and Power AG
7.1.6 ACS-Control-System GmbH
7.1.7 BD - SENSORS GmbH
7.1.8 Baumer Ltd
7.1.10 Shenzhen Amperon Technology Co. Ltd
7.1.11 ifm electronic GmbH
7.1.12 Setra Systems
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Vega Americas, Inc.
- Nanjing Jiucheng Technology Co. Limited
- Sensata Technologies Holding PLC(Impress Sensors and Kavlico Corporation)
- Metallux SA
- Angst+Pfister Sensors and Power AG
- ACS-Control-System GmbH
- BD|SENSORS GmbH
- Baumer Ltd
- Shenzhen Amperon Technology Co. Ltd
- ifm electronic GmbH
- Setra Systems