1 of 2
- Payment Services Austria (PSA)
- STUZZA develops methods and standards for payment transfers.
Domestic Card Brands
- None (Maestro is used as debit card brand, since 1998).
- Phase-out of electronic purse Quick by end of July 2017.
- Most bank cards are debit cards; most credit cards are charge cards. Maestro debit card use is the fastest growing market segment.
- Bank Austria, Erste Bank and Raiffeisen, the major Austrian bank players, have built up large banking networks in the CEE/CIS region.
- In 2016, the responsibility of the UniCredit CEE/CIS banking network was transferred from Bank Austria to UniCredit Group (I).
- In 2015, significant restructuring process in the Volksbank sector. In 2017, merger of RBI and RZB in the Raiffeisen sector.
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- MPOS terminals, HCE NFC payment pilots, Mobile Maestro,
- Debit Mastercard cards, mobile banking apps, immediate payments
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown