- Nordic processor NETS absorbed BBS in 2010.
- VBB AS absorbed Vipps, BankID and BankAxept.
Domestic Payment Brand
- BankAxept debit cards; mostly co-badged VISA or Electron
- BankAxess is the domestic online bank transfer service for payments of purchases in online shops.
- Vipps, the mobile payments app of the Norwegian banks
- Cards with a debit function are predominant. The domestic BankAxept debit card system accounted for 70.1% of card transactions in Norway and abroad in 2017; including all debit cards, the proportion is 89.9%.
- Credit cards continued to grow in the past five years.
- Card use, already among the highest in Europe, hit 425.4 payments per capita (309.4 on BankAxept debit cards) in 2017.
- The Norwegian banks joined DNB to make the mobile payment app, Vipps, the ‘only mobile wallet’ for Norwegian customers.
- Vipps, BankAxept and BankID Norway signed a letter of intent to merge the three companies.
Notable Market Trends
- Mobile HCE NFC wallets, contactless BankAxept cards, Vipps,
- card-less payments, tokenisation security, biometric cards.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details