- Polski Standard Platnosci, the BLIK operator.
Domestic Payment Brand
- Card-less BLIK and P24 payment schemes.
- The number of debit cards has grown slowly in recent years, while credit cards reached a peak of 33% of the cards total by end-2009, falling to 14.9% at end-2017.
- Poland is one of the pioneers of contactless card payments. 94.6% of all POS terminals installed were contactless as at end-2017.
- All banks issue contactless cards accounting for 79.6% of the cards total, and around 70% of all card payments were contactless.
- Online bank transfers are the preferred online-payment services
- With nearly 8.34 million cards, PKO BP is the largest issuer and the biggest bank, followed by Bank Pekao and mBank.
- Capped domestic interchange fees include commercial cards.
- In 2015, launch of a domestic card payment gateway, Inkart.
- Two immediate payment systems are offered in Poland: bank-owned Express ELIXIR and BlueCash of FinTech Blue Media.
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- HCE NFC payments, Apple pay, Google Pay, contactless ATMs, card-less mobile banking app payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Note: Product cover images may vary from those shown