- ZBK, the Slovak Bank Card Association.
Domestic Payment Brand
- Like other CEE markets, continued rapid growth of card use in Slovakia. By end-2017, the number of cards had reached 5.7 million and there are now 76.5 payments on cards per capita.
- Cards issued are credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards. Most cards are debit cards, and their use continued to increase.
- Slovakia is one of the showcase markets for the adoption of contactless cards. 89.7% of all cards were contactless at end-2017.
- ZBK manages the national ATM and POS network built out of the two ATM/POS networks of SLSP and First Data Slovakia. The number of POS payments exceeded ATM withdrawals in 2007, though the value was much lower.
- Slovenská Sporitelna (SLSP), VUB and Tatra Banka, the three largest banks, are owned respectively by Erste, Intesa Sanpaolo and Raiffeisen.
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- Contactless rollout, MPOS terminals, HCE NFC pilots, mobile banking apps.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details