- Bankart is the processor of BA cards and Karanta cards.
- Activa is processor of the Activa card scheme.
Domestic Payment Brand
- Activa cards are co-badged Maestro, Mastercard, VISA or Electron; BA Maestro cards; Karanta cards co-badged Mastercard; there are also domestic-only cards with one of the three domestic brands.
- Three domestic card schemes and a significant market share for non-bank issued payment cards (American Express, Diners, others).
- Slovenia has the highest levels of card issuance and card usage in central and eastern Europe.
- Including American Express and Diners cards, there were 3.9 million debit and credit cards at end-2017, equivalent to 1.89 cards per capita, with 93.1 card payments per capita.
- Pika private label cards are issued by Mercator, Slovenia’s biggest retail group.
- In 2017, foreign ownership of Slovenian banks is lower (46%) and state ownership higher (48%) than in other CEE countries.
- In 2016, privatisation of state-owned bank Nova KBM, and bank sector consolidation through mergers.
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals, MPOS terminals.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details