The Complete Broadcasting Industry Guide: Television, Radio, Cable & Streaming is the go-to source for station data and industry contacts in the U.S. and Canadian television, radio and cable marketplace. It is the source that media executives, programming managers, and libraries across the country have relied on for up-to-date information for more than seven decades.
This title includes twelve major sections, with the "big three" - television, radio, and cable - arguably the most detailed and significant. Comprehensive sections include market areas, call letter lists, and station profiles. This guide includes professional services from producers and engineers to equipment manufacturers and legal services, plus those who consult and advocate for this diverse industry.
- Broadcast Television
- Programming & Production Services
- Equipment Manufacturers & Production Services
- Professional Services
- Associations, Events, Education, & Awards
This new edition also reflects the most recent changes to this dynamic industry, including the major recent transaction of Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox.
The front matter of the 2023 edition includes industry statistics including lists of station transactions, top shows, and sales of TV receivers and HDTVs. User will also find a Chronology, Glossary, and "The FCC and Its Regulatory Authority."
U.S. television starts with statistics that include ranking data. This is followed by detailed listings of national, and regional networks, and group owners. TV stations are arranged by DMA (Designated Market Area). These station listings include dozens of technical details direct from the FCC, such as digital and virtual channel numbers, hours of operation, frequency, and antenna height. Corporate information follows - licensee, owner, and network - plus names of important decision-makers, such as President, Station Manager, Program Director, and more.
Following the U.S. stations, are informative lists - TV stations by call letters, by digital and virtual channels, and a list of U.S. stations that broadcast in Spanish. Comprehensive Canadian TV information follows the U.S. sections - including networks, group owners, detailed station listings, and lists by call letters and channels.
The U.S. radio section starts with a statistical summary, which is followed by detailed listings of national, and regional radio networks, and group owners, all with key contact names. Listings are arranged by state of license, then city within the state. Like the television stations, these listings include dozens of technical details directly from the FCC, such as power, frequency, and hours of operation, plus the station’s market area. Users will find type of programming and special programming, including hours of news programming, and target audiences. Long lists of key contacts and decision-makers follow.
Following the detailed station listings is information on international radio, satellite radio, and call letters listed by AM, FM, and frequency. The U.S. radio section ends with detailed programming information - putting each radio station into one or more listening designations, from Adult Contemporary to Vietnamese. This programming index is followed by special programming, with specific details, like where to find a jazz station in Chicago on a Tuesday night.
Comprehensive Canadian radio information follows the U.S. sections - including networks, group owners, detailed station listings, lists by call letters and frequency, and programming.
The Cable section starts with a variety of updated statistics on U.S. cable programming, followed by detailed listings of national and regional cable networks, with a separate section on regional cable sports networks. Cable data for Canada follows, with detailed listings of Canadian cable networks. This section also includes industry statistics.
This section includes over 50 detailed listings that include valuable details such as launch date, specialized content, markets, cost, and number of users/subscribers. Audio streaming listings range from Spotify and Apple Music to Bandcamp and Soundcloud, plus Internet radio platforms like AccuRadio and MyTuner Radio. Video streaming listings range from Netfix and Amazon Prime to all-British content platform Britbox.
Technical Equipment and Services
In addition to the detailed station listings, the Complete Broadcasting Industry Guide includes current, comprehensive information on those who provide services, materials and equipment to the industry. From major television syndicates to radio news services, from producers to distributors, from equipment manufacturers to cable audio services, this 2023 edition will help you find the product or service you need.
Professional Services and More
This comprehensive guide also includes listings of employment services, technical consultants, legal services, and talent agents. There is a separate section on associations, trade shows and vocational schools and complete listings for the FCC and other regulatory agencies, as well as Canadian agency information.
Your key to this dynamic industry in one, easy-to-use source, with valuable profiles, industry statistics, and comprehensive indexes, the Complete Broadcasting Industry Guide provides specifics of thousands of stations in the U.S. and Canada, including audience, programming, and contact information, and further, includes sections on what schools offer industry training, and how to keep up on the latest industry regulations.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction2. Chronology of Electronic Media3. The FCC and Its Regulatory Authority4. Glossary of Terms5. List of Abbreviations
- Broadcast Market Research
- 67 Years of Station Transactions
- Sales of Television Receivers
- 2022 Media & Entertainment Industry Outlook
- Major Broadcast Television Networks
- Regional Broadcast TV Networks
- Television Group Ownership in the U.S
- Key to TV Listings
- DMA Cross Reference List
- Television Stations in the United States
- U.S. Television Stations by Call Letters
- U.S. Television Stations by Analog Channel
- U.S. Television Stations by Digital Channel
- U.S. Spanish-Language Television Stations
- Communications Monitoring Report, Highlights of the
- Broadcasting Sector
- Major Broadcast Networks in Canada
- Television Group Ownership in Canada
- Television Stations in Canada
- Canadian Television Stations by Call Letters
- Canadian Television Stations by Analog Channel
- Canadian Television Stations by Digital Channel
- Radio Market Rankings
- Sales of Home and Clock Radios
- The Infinite Dial 2022
- National Radio Networks
- Regional Radio Networks
- Radio Group Ownership in the U.S.
- Key to Radio Listings
- Radio Stations in the United States .
- U.S.-Based International Radio
- US Based Satellite Radio .
- U.S. AM Radio Stations by Call Letters
- U.S. FM Radio Stations by Call Letters
- U.S. AM Stations by Frequency
- U.S. FM Stations by Frequency
- Radio Formats Defined
- Programming on Radio Stations in the U.S
- Special Programming on Radio Stations in the U.S.
- Communications Monitoring Report, Commercial Radio
- Radio Group Ownership in Canada
- Radio Stations in Canada
- Canadian AM Radio Stations by Call Letters
- Canadian FM Radio Stations by Call Letters
- Canadian AM Stations by Frequency
- Canadian FM Stations by Frequency
- Programming on Radio Stations in Canada
- Special Programming on Radio Stations in Canada
- 100 Most-Watched TV Shows of 2021-22: Winners and Losers
- National Cable Networks
- Regional Cable News Networks
- Regional Cable Sports Networks
- Canadian Cable Networks
- Audio Streaming Services
- Video Streaming Services
- Major TV Program Syndicators/Distributors
- Major National TV News Organizations
- TV News Services
- Radio News Services
- Radio Format Providers
- Cable Audio Services
- Producers, Distributors and Production Services Subject Index
- Producers, Distributors & Production Services
- Equipment Manufacturers and Distributors Subject Index
- Equipment Manufacturers & Distributors
- Satellite & Transmission Services
- Employment & Executive Search Services
- Engineering & Technical Consultants
- Legal Services
- Management & Marketing Consultants
- Music Licensing
- Research Services
- Station & Cable System Brokers
- Station Financing Services
- Talent Agents & Managers
- National Associations
- State & Regional Broadcast Associations
- State & Regional Cable Associations
- Major Broadcasting & Cable Awards
- Trade Shows
- Union/Labor Groups
- Vocational & Career Development Schools
- Federal Communication Commission Executives & Staff
- US Government Agencies
- US State Cable Regulatory Agencies
- Canadian Government Agencies