A number of market developments and trends are impacting the security industry, leading to changes in business models and product offerings to better serve or appeal to approximately 70% of households without security systems. Dynamics include adopting new technology, growth in self-installed home security systems, the addition of interactivity, and changes in consumer behavior. Channel expansion is also a factor, as security systems are being sold bundled with broadband and video solutions, as well as sold in big box retail, through energy providers, and direct to consumers. This report evaluates security dealers and provides a comprehensive view of the security dealer channel through industry insights and findings from a survey of security dealers.
The residential security market continues to evolve as interactive services and smart home technology give dealers additional value propositions. However, competitive pressure is increasing from self- installed/DIY security systems and competition outside the traditional security channel. This report leverages findings from surveys of residential security dealers over the past six years, as well as briefings with industry executives sharing the view of the market from the front lines.
The purpose of this report is to assess key trends, opportunities, and challenges affecting residential security dealers. The analysis provides companies with an understanding of how the conditions of the security business are changing with regards to the dealers’ ecosystem, infrastructure, and business models.
Key Questions Addressed
- How are security dealers responding to new technology and its impact on consumer behavior/intentions with regards to security systems?
- How has the growth in self-installed/DIY security systems affected and/or changed the behavior of security dealers?
- How is the competitive landscape for security dealers evolving, particularly with regards to channel expansion?
- How are security dealers changing their business operations and product offerings to reach untapped households?
- Beyond DIY, What disruptions do security dealers face, and how are they being addressed?
1.0 Report Summary
1.1 Purpose of Report
1.2 Key Questions Addressed by this Research
1.3 Research Approach/Sources
2.0 The Security Dealer Landscape
3.0 Security Offerings
3.1 Types of Residential Security Systems
3.2 Pricing of Security Systems, Upfront Fees, and RMR
3.3 Approach to DIY/Self-Installed Security
4.0 Business Models, Operations, and Infrastructure
4.1 Contract Terms for Professional Monitoring
4.2 Lead Generation for New System Sales
4.3 Important Factors in Central Monitoring Station Selection
4.4 Hardware and Panel Vendor Considerations
4.5 Interactive Service Provider Considerations
5.0 Security Solution Channel Expansion
5.1 Retail Channel
5.2 Multi-Service Operator (MSO) Channel
5.3 Additional Channel Opportunities
6.0 Future Outlook: Challenges and Opportunities
6.1 Business Challenges
6.2 Market Opportunities
List of Figures
- Security Dealers Profile
- Interactive Security Systems as a Percentage of Sales
- Average Upfront Price by Type of Security System
- Sales of DIY Security Systems in Year (2017-2018)
- Contract Term of Professional Monitoring Services (2014-2018)
- Leading Methods of Acquiring Sales Leads (2017-2018)
- Important Factors in Central Monitoring Station Selection (2017-2018)
- Installation Rates for Security System Panel Types (2017-2018)
- Most Commonly Used Interactive Service Providers (2014-2018)
- Security System Purchase Channel Purchase Location of Smart Home Devices
- US Residential Security Forecast – MSOs (2018-2023)
- Consumer Willingness to Pay to Connect Smart Devices to a Monitoring Station
- Top Challenges to Security Dealers in the Year (2017-2018)
- Expand the Residential Security Market Interest in Security System Features
- Smart Home Safety & Security Device Ownership by Segments
- Brinks Home Security
- Deep Sentinel
- Dynamark Security
- EMC Security
- Hawk Security Services
- Honeywell Total Connect
- Mountain Alarm
- NorthStar Alarm Services
- Scout Alarm