The report (Database) Financial Analysis of 100 Major Lighting Manufacturers Worldwide is at its second edition. It is the result of CSIL processing of a dataset made up of balance sheets for a sample of 800 companies, including in the sample analysis manufacturers of lighting fixtures (688 players), lighting components (semi-finished products, lighting sources, 96 players) and lighting automotive (17 players).
The total sample analyzed shows an average workforce of over 750 employees and an average turnover of over USD 120 million in 2017. In absolute terms: a 2017 turnover of about 97 billion USD, an EBIT in excess of 7 billion USD, almost half million of employees.
The Report is made up by a short executive summary (around 40 pages) and an Excel database of company financial data and sector average.
The purpose of this study is to assess the recent trends and structural characteristics of the lighting industry through the analysis of the balance sheets for the years 2013 to 2017 of a group of around 800 companies based worldwide and to identify, among them, the top 100 performing companies in the business (in terms of turnover, profitability and financial situation), named “Best in Class” and reported separately as Big (over 50 million USD turnover) and Small players.
The sample was selected according to the following criteria:
- Availability of balance sheet data (consolidated and/or unconsolidated accounts);
- Company turnover of over US$ 5 million in one of the years between 2013 and 2017;
- Company’s core activity corresponding to one of the following NACE codes 2740: Manufacture of electric lighting equipment.
The report is structured as follows:
- Lighting sector performance. Analysis of Key financial data of 800 balance-sheet, for the period 2013-2017. Overview of the total sample in terms of turnover growth and turnover indicators, profitability, financial structure, employment and productivity.
- Analysis by geographical area. This chapter breaks down the sample of 800 companies by six geographical areas, highlighting key financial data and ratios for each area.
- Analysis by lighting segment. Each company is classified according to its core activity. The following Lighting segments are identified: Lighting Fixtures, Lighting Components, Automotive Lighting.
- Analysis by company size. The sample of 800 companies was broken down by five turnover ranges, ranging from less than 10 million dollars to over 900 million dollars during the last available year.
- Analysis of the “best in class” companies. 100 companies were selected from the sample of 800 companies, grouped in “Best in Class” big players and “Best in Class” small players.
- 2018 financial data. Performance analysis of a small sample of 30 companies for which some financial data 2018 are available.
- Annexed Excel Database. Financial tables on average lighting sector performance 2013-2017, based on the 800 companies’ sample; Companies’ “Best in Class” selected data (top 100 2017 players, “Big” and “Small”); Website, Stock Exchange reference, Holding data for 800 companies (when available); Operating revenue (Turnover) 2017 for the 800 companies’ sample, number of employees and EBITDA available for around 600 companies
Considered productivity/profitability indicators available from the balance sheets:
- Key financial data: Operating Revenue (Turnover), Added Value, P/L before Tax, Net Income, EBITDA, EBIT
- Turnover indicators: Total Assets, Shareholders Funds, Cash Flow
- Profitability ratios: Profit margin, ROE, ROA, EBITDA margin, EBIT margin
- Structure ratios: Current and Solvency ratio
- Employment data and per employees ratios: Number of Employees, Turnover per Employee, the added value per Employee, average cost of employee, Costs of employees / Operating revenue.
Geographical coverage: Europe (319 companies), Japan and South Korea (208 companies), China (150 companies), Asia Pacific other (58 companies), Russia and neighboring countries (39 companies), North and Latin America (27 companies).
The sample is made up of 800 among the major lighting manufacturing companies worldwide, which record a combined turnover of about US$ 97 billion in 2017. If we analyse the sample with a homogeneous historical series (excluding missing data for each year), average yearly growth rate during the considered period (2013-2017) has been around by 3.8% in USD and 7.3% in EUR.
Turnover growth is higher, on average, for the manufacturers of Components and various lighting equipment (+6.7%).
Average yearly turnover increase (excluding missing data for each year of the considered period, 2013-2017) is stable for the European companies, while it is double-digit growth for Chinese players.
Mid-sized and Big companies increased their turnover on average better than the Very Big, Small, and Very Small players.
ROE is on average 7%-8% for the Big and Very big players, higher (over 10%) for smaller enterprises.
Around 6% the Return on Assets (ROA, using NET income), again a little better performance is registered by companies with a turnover under 50 million USD, on average.
On the opposite, the EBITDA margin is around 10%-11% for companies with turnover over 50 million USD, on average, and around 8% for smaller companies with a turnover under 10 million USD.
Average turnover per employee is approximately 200,000 USD between 2013 and 2017.
The average cost of labour per employee is approximately 44,000 USD (45/50 thousand among the Very Big and Big players, 38,000 among the Very Small companies).
Executive Summary1. Sample Selection, Methodology,and Definitions
- Total sample analysis: Key financial data, Profitability and Structure ratios, Employment and productivity, 2013-2017. Total and mean values
- Japan and South Korea
- Asia Pacific
- Russia and neighbouring countries
- Lighting Fixtures
- Lighting Components
- Automotive Lighting
- Very Big companies (turnover over 900 USD million)
- Big companies (turnover over 200 million USD and under 900 million USD)
- Mid-sized companies (turnover over 50 million USD and under 200 million USD)
- Small companies (turnover over 10 million USD and under 50 million USD)
- Very Small companies (turnover under 10 USD million)
- Best in Class companies in the Lighting sector: Big players. Key financial data and ratios, 2013-2017. Total and mean values
- Best in Class companies in the Lighting sector: Big players. Selected key financial data and turnover indicators, profitability and structure ratios, employment data and per employee ratios by Company, 2017. Ranking by Operating revenue
- Best in Class companies in the Lighting sector: Small players. Key financial data and ratios, 2013-2017. Total and mean values
- Best in Class companies in the Lighting sector: Small players. Selected key financial data and turnover indicators, profitability and structure ratios, employment data and per employee ratios by Company, 2017. Ranking by Operating revenue
- Annex: List of 800 Companies: Selected Financial Data, Website, Stock Exchange Reference, Holding Data
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Acuity Brands Inc.
- AEC - Illuminazione S.R.L.
- Arianna S.P.A.
- Arkoslight Sociedad Limitada
- Astro Lighting Holdings Limited
- Beghelli S.P.A.
- Cariboni Group S.P.A.
- Catellani & Smith S.R.L.
- Daiko Electric Co. Ltd.
- Davide Groppi S.R.L.
- Delta Light
- Dextra Group PLC
- Dien Quang Joint Stock Company
- Eglo Leuchten GmbH
- Electrical And Lighting Co. Ltd. (Foshan)
- Electronic Theatre Controls Limited
- Elstead Lighting Limited
- Endo Lighting Corporation
- Everlight Electronics Co. Ltd.
- F.W. Thorpe Public Limited Company
- Fagerhult AB
- Feilo Acoustics Co. Ltd. (Shanghai)
- Flos Societa' Per Azioni
- Gewiss S.P.A.
- Glamox AS
- Hengdian Group Tospo Lighting Company Limited
- Hongli Zhihui Group Co. Ltd.
- Hubbell Inc.
- iGuzzini Illuminazione S.P.A.
- Kingsun Optoelectronic Company Limited (Dongguan)
- L&L Luce&Light S.R.L.
- Lamplast Finanziaria S.P.A.
- L'Eclairage Technique Eclatec SA
- Leds C4 SA
- Leedarson Lighting Co. Ltd. (Xiamen)
- Lextar Electronics (Suzhou) Corp.
- Lival OY AB
- Louis Poulsen A/S
- Markslojd Aktiebolag
- Marset Iluminacion SA
- Mason Technologies Co. Ltd. (Shenzhen)
- MLS Company Limited
- Murat Aydinlatma Sanayi Ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi
- Nationstar Optoelectronics Co. Ltd. (Foshan)
- Nowodworski Sp. J.
- NVC Lighting Holding Limited
- Odelic Co. Ltd.
- Opple Lighting Company Limited
- Osram Licht AG
- Revolution Lighting Technologies Inc.
- Robe Lighting
- SBP S.P.A.
- SG Armaturen AS
- Shenghe Lighting Co. Ltd. (Ningbo)
- Signify N.V.
- Simes S.P.A.
- Tons Lightology Inc.
- Ushio Inc.
- Vizulo Sia
- Yankon Group Co. Ltd. (Zhejiang)
- Zumtobel Group AG