The IX edition of the LEDs and the worldwide market for lighting fixtures is mainly based on around 300 interviews with manufacturers and retailers of lighting fixtures worldwide during the first half of 2018, in addition to statistical data and 20-year experience of the author in the lighting fixtures industry.
The Report provides estimated data on the consumption of total lighting fixtures and LED-based lighting fixtures for the years 2012-2017 and forecasts for the years 2018-2022.
A breakdown of LED lighting fixtures worldwide market is provided by country or geographical area (Western Europe, Central-Eastern Europe, Russia and other CIS Countries, United States and Canada, Latin America, China, India, Japan, Asia and Pacific, Middle East, Turkey, Africa) by segment (residential/consumer, commercial/architectural, industrial, outdoor lighting), by product (bulbs and retrofit lamps, modules, floor, table, wall ceiling, chandeliers, suspensions, downlights, recessed, batten, modular systems, high bays, wall washers, LED panels, strip-linear lighting, spotlights, poles, projectors, bollards, steps) and by application (Hospitality, Office, Retail, Entertainments, Institutions, Industrial plants, Hazardous conditions, Emergency, Healthcare, Marine, Residential outdoor, Architectural outdoor, Christmas and Festivities, Streets and tunnel, and large area).
LED-based lighting fixtures sales and related market shares are provided for the major companies operating in this market by considered countries. Short company profiles are also included. In the ranking, there are both companies using LEDs for some 30%-40% of their company turnover and LED lighting specialists. Company market shares are given also for sectors and applications.
A focus on the supply chain of the LED industry is provided, as well as a section describing the breakthrough technologies that are supposed to lead the industry in the coming years.
Countries considered: Western Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom (i.e. the European Union 15, less Luxembourg for which lighting fixtures data are listed together with those of Belgium) + Norway and Switzerland; Central-Eastern Europe: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia (i.e. New EU Members 13), Serbia; Turkey; Russia and other CIS Countries: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine; North America: Canada and the United States; Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela; China; India; Japan; Asia and Pacific: Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam; Middle East: Bahrain, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates; Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa.
In 2017, the global lighting market reached a value of almost USD 92 billion. Out of this value, LED-base lighting accounts for almost USD 50 billion, corresponding to around 54% of its value.
The author forecasts that the average annual growth of the worldwide market for lighting fixtures in the next five years (2017-2022) is going to be around 3%. This synthetic number comes from the projection of a contraction of conventional lighting fixtures consumption of 7% on average per year and an annual average increase of 9% of LED-base luminaires between 2017 and 2022. Therefore, the worldwide market for lighting fixtures in the year 2022 is projected to reach a value of around USD 106 billion, at constant (2017) prices.
Although it is still very dynamic, the LED lighting fixtures growth has been decelerating compared to a few years ago. Long replacement cycle once installed and the declining margins dampened by pricing headwinds have been making the LED business less profitable than it was a few years ago. For this reason, the industry has now identified in the intelligent networked lighting, building management systems, and the IoT applications the next propelling force that will guide the market in the next future.
1. Basic Data and Activity Trends
- Lighting fixtures market and LED lighting market evolution, 2012-2017 estimates and 2018-2022 forecasts: by country or geographical area, by segment: residential, commercial, industrial, outdoor
- Main products: value, average price, volume
- LED lamps: world trade evolution, 2009-2017
- Distributions channels
2. Worldwide Competition: Top 50 Players
- Estimated sales of LED lighting and market shares for 50 among the leading companies, 2017
- Sales of LED lighting and market shares for the main products and applications: Hospitality, Office, Retail, Entertainment, Museums & other Art Venues, Other (schools, airports, public premises, etc.) solutions; Industrial plants, Hazardous conditions, Emergency, Healthcare, Marine; Path lighting, step lighting, bollards, Façade lighting, urban landscape, architectural lighting, Christmas and Events lighting, Street lighting (pole mounted, high mast), Tunnels and galleries lighting, Area lighting (sporting plants, parking, large area spaces applications).
3. Regional Reports: Activity Trend and Market Shares
- For each country or geographical area considered in this report: activity trend, estimated sales and market shares for the major companies (Ranking)
4. Supply Chain and Financial Indicators
- Suppliers of packaged LED and chips, wafers, and drivers
- Financial indicators: operating revenue, EBITDA and EBITDA margin for 95 lighting companies
5. Mid-Term Growth Drivers
- Breakthrough technologies: smart lighting, Human Centric Lighting, OLED, Laser Lighting
- Acuity Brands
- Current by GE Lighting
- Delta Light
- Focal Point
- FSL Lighting
- Huda Lighting
- Inesa Feilo
- L&E,LG Display
- LG Innotek
- Pak Lighting
- Signify (Philips Lighting)