While online retail’s share of total retail sales in India currently lags the percentages seen in mature markets, that share is projected to rise rapidly to a low double digit figure by the middle of the next decade. As this year began, less than half of the population of India could connect to the Internet, and connections were often sporadic. Projections cited in the publication signal an Internet penetration rate of over 60% by 2026, with much of the growth attributed to smartphone expansion and increased connectivity in second-tier cities and rural areas. With this expansion, most online shopping in India will be done through smartphone.
Online merchants Amazon and Flipkart dominate digital retail in India
Global online sales giant Amazon led sales in India in 2018, but Flipkart was close behind, and forecasts included in the report suggest that Walmart-owned Flipkart will be the leader within five years. Both companies are investing heavily in India in an effort to capture a greater online market share of online shoppers in the world’s second most populous nation.
Key Questions Answered
- How does the B2C E-Commerce market in India rank compared to other countries in Asia-Pacific and worldwide?
- What projections are made for online retail sales in India through 2023 and beyond?
- Which product categories do online shoppers in India buy the most?
- How does the development of B2C E-Commerce vary between urban and rural India?
- Who are the leading companies by gross E-Commerce sales in Indian B2C E-Commerce?
1. Management Summary
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, September 2019
- Top 10 Countries by Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, by Canada, China, India, Germany, France, Japan, Russia, South Korea, the UK, the USA, 2018 & 2019f
- Top 10 Countries by Retail E-Commerce Sales Growth, in %, by Argentina, Canada, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, South Korea and Worldwide, 2019f vs. 2018
- M-Commerce Share of Total Retail E-Commerce Sales, in %, by China, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Thailand, the UK and the USA, 2018
- Preference of Online Shopping Over Offline Shopping, in % of Consumers, by China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, August 2018
- Mobile Internet Users, in millions, October 2015, December 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Breakdown of Total Internet Visits, by Mobile Site/ App and Desktop, in % of Total Visits, 2015 – 2017 & 2020f
- Smartphone Users, in millions, 2018, 2020f & 2022f
- Smartphone User Penetration, in % of Population, in %, 2018 & 2025f
- Retail M-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2018 & 2021f
- M-Commerce Sales, by In-App Sales, Mobile Browser Sales, and Total M-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2018
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out Online, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- Shopping Activities Researched on Smartphone, in %, and Preferred Device for Online Shopping, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2018
- Top 3 Countries Purchased From in the Latest Cross-Border Online Purchase, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, 2018
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, and CAGR, in %, by Six Comparative Estimates, 2016 – 2023f & 2026f – 2027f
- E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, by Four Comparative Estimates, 2016-2018e, 2021f, 2023f & 2026f
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, 2018 & 2023f
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, by Urban and Rural, 2017 – 2019e
- Internet Penetration, by Urban, Rural and Total, in % of Population, December 2018
- Internet Penetration, in % of Population, 2017, 2020f & 2026f
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, by User Type, 2018
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, by Two Comparative Estimates, 2017 - 2018, 2023f & 2027f
- Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, by Metro, Tier I and Tier II, 2017 – 2020f
- Breakdown of GMV of Online Retail, by Tier-II and Rural Shoppers and Tier-I Shoppers, in %, 2018 & 2023f
- Top E-Commerce Merchant Segments, in % of Total E-Commerce Value, 2018
- Online Grocery Market, in USD billion, and Penetration, in % of Total FMCG Market, 2016 – 2017 & 2020f
- Online Furniture Market, in USD million, by Metro and Tier I, Tier I and Tier III and below, 2017 – 2020f
- Breakdown of Payment Methods in E-Commerce by Payment Value, in %, 2019e
- E-Commerce Enabled Card Penetration Rate per Capita, by Card Type and Total Cards, 2018
- Key Reasons for Usage of Digital Payments, by Metro and Non Metro, in % of Digital Payment Users, 2019e
- Top 3 Mobile Payment Services, in % of Monthly Transactions, March 2019
- Top 3 Mobile Payment Services, by Average Transaction Size, in INR, March 2019
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Logistics Market by Logistics Service Provider Types, in %, 2018
- Average Shipping Value, Net Margin, Cost of Delivery, Last Mile Delivery Cost, Net Profit, in INR, Net Margin, in %, by Current and Potential, December 2018
- Overview of B2C E-Commerce Players, August 2019
- E-Commerce Gross Sales, in USD billion, by Amazon and Flipkart, 2018 & 2023f
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Alibaba Group Holding Ltd
- Amazon Seller Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Flipkart Online Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Foodpanda GmbH
- Ola Electric Mobility Pvt Ltd
- One Mobikwik Systems Pvt. Ltd.
- Paytm Mobile Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- PhonePe Internet Pvt Ltd
- Uber Inc.
- Walmart Inc.